Thinkin Bout a Dmax

KVD

I've got a 03 cummins now and I'm thinkin bout a Dmax. I know all bout a cummins, not so much on the dmax.

Its a 04 with the LB7 in it. Allison trans 4x4 an all that, this wouldn't be my frist chevy, really this cummins is the only thing I have had other than a chevy so I know what the front ends and all that.

Now what do I need to look for motor wise??

Trans wise??

I'm sorry I just never felt like the Dmax motor was a reilable as the cummins so is there anything I need to know what 121k on the clock.

Basically just tell me all I need to know, I'm ready to learn.

injectors woudl be the main thing. manitnance report would tell you if they have been replaced or not. this is a problem mainly wiht 01-03s and some 04 lb7 motors.. warrentee is 7 years 200k

t-cases had pump rub issues.

tranny is good for ~100rwhp over stock then you are looking at limping. stock they put 250-275 to the ground

idler, pitnam arms and tie rods.

intermediat steering shaft tend to clunk when turning.

OK i knew bout the injectors, not to worried since there under warrentee

Done did all that front end stuff on my other chevys (95 1/2 ton with a 2 inch lift, 02 1/2ton with a 8 inch lift, al not new to frontend parts).

If these motors are took care like normal, I mean how many miles can these motors take?? Like I said I went with a cummins cause I like the motors, they last forever and are pretty reilable and I'm wonder if the dmax is like that cause I've never seen one with more than 140k on it.

Just don't to be puttin a motor is the truck in at 185k or nothin cause I know a cummins is good for more than that.

Also the truck I'm lookin at doesn't have a ball in it or a brake box and I don't plan to tow with it either. All I want is a strong daily driver, right around 400hp and I'm done.

400 RWHP Daily driver that you don't pull with is very doable. First, check the engine hours. If you think they are low enough, start the build.... You will need a Sun Coast Converter and a trans-go kit, IMHO. I would opt for the Sun Coast trans brace. IT's cheap, easy and cheap insurance against $$$ (tail shaft) breaking. GM has a new fix for the shaft but the rest you will need to address. >see above post<

Also the truck I'm lookin at doesn't have a ball in it or a brake box and I don't plan to tow with it either. All I want is a strong daily driver, right around 400hp and I'm done.

ppe hot/efi live, lift pump, sun coast 3 tranny will be very relibale.

there are many dmax run 400-500rwhp level and do it reliable..

400k out of these is not a problem for the engines. or tranny either

eric merchant about a year ago had a guy bring in a LLY that had 505,000 miles 90% of that towing min 16,000 pound daily. (boat hauller) pulled everything a part replace rings and bearings that had minor wears and up same with the tranny..

rick d lance is probley pushing 1.5 million miles between his 6-7 dmax trucks and as a hauler

Anybody know anything bout that PPE 100 horse box, the duramaximers??

I think thats what it's called, thats what I plan to run and there stage 1 trans kit, if that makes 400, I'm good, if it don't I ant worried bout it.

Anybody know anything bout that PPE 100 horse box, the duramaximers??

I think thats what it's called, thats what I plan to run and there stage 1 trans kit, if that makes 400, I'm good, if it don't I ant worried bout it.

Them pressure boxs are old tech. meant more for stacking than running by themselves. You will want the programmer for code reading, tire size adjusting, etc. The stage 1 tranny kit won't be enough, need the stage 2 or SC 3(same kit except PPEs uses ATS converter)

Ok whats the most I can put to the wheels with that stage 1/shift kit??

I just don't have a coin for a 1300 converter but I heard on hear Jon at Inglewood is comin up with a budget kit, shift kit and converter for bout 1k.

A shift kit won't do that much by itself & then the torque converter will be the next hold up.

I just figured 400 should be alright with a VB/TC.

I mean we're holdin 400 at the wheels in these cummins autos with just a vb/tc so surely the allison should be alright???

Who makes converters other than sun coast?? I know 3 people who have sun coast trannys (2 fords and a dodge) not a bad trans but I think they could be a lil better, well mostly the dodge one could be better, it doesn't seem to want to down shift the same every time.

dont worry about how many miles your going to get out of it my last truck had just under 200 miles from 200k on it still ran great i have heard of many more way over that

KVD........ Transmissions and shifting all depend on the build, parts don't last forever.

basically, you have a choice between ATS, Suncoast, a Precision converter that Mike sells, and Banks is supposed to have a new converter out (not much word on that yet)

the point that some people dont understand is that doing just a valve body dosent help much with these allisons. since the transmission is constantly learning to shift according to driving style/hp, the TCM will make it shift harder/smoother. if you go putting some high dollar, high flow, super advanced VB on like you would for a dodge, it dosent really work. the TCM will learn to 'work around it' so to speak.

IMHO, if you do a TC, and a FULL transgo kit, i would THINK youd be ok at 400hp. the duramaximizer adds 100hp at the flywheel, not to the wheels. if you can find a cheap one, go ahead, there is nothing wrong with these boxes, but for $500 new, there is better.

Transgo/TC will hold 450/500
throw in some extra clutches & couple other things it will hold 600

(same kit except PPEs uses ATS converter)

This is not entirly true. PPE carryes all tranny parts. Suncoast and ats.

I have the full transgo in my truck to be honest it was money well spent. But since u already have to disassemble your tranny down to nothing. Go ahead and be smart by a stage 3 kit. My truck has 78,000 Of pure hell Pulling racing donuts a bunch of drunk nights. Out in the middle of mud wholes. Never have gave me a problem motor wise. Tranny is a differnt story.