Thinking of converting, need CR advice

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
OK, after having several transmission issues with my 47RE I'm ready to get rid of my beloved 12V ( love the engine BTW) finding a good used 12V manual trans truck around proved impossible for two years which is why I finally got tired of looking and settled on an auto. So, if I decide to trade trucks just to rid myself of the stupid auto I'll probably end up with an 03-04 6spd (found a few of them already)

so, if I trade off I'll have to stay relatively stock for a while, but shoudl be able to scrounge up $1500 or so for mods.

If you had $1500 for mods on a stock 6spd truck where would you spend it? What kind of power and milage could I expect to achieve from a 6sp CR with 3.73's (don't think they came with 3.55's did they?)

Thanks for the advice, if this 47RE goes out one more time I guess I'll have to go computerized engine to keep away from the stupid trans blues.

Thanks,
George

i feel your pain!!! my auto has been good to me though, i can't really complain. 236,000 hard miles. but if only i could afford a CR 3500 dually, i would be all over it. i guess i would start with an intake and exhaust, and then smarty. heard alot of good things about them on the CR trucks. but there are alot of options for the CR engine. my only concern is that the nv5600 6 spd. is no longer in production, so if you would ever need it to be rebuilt how hard would it be to get parts??

Parts for the tranny are available, about the only bad thing would be shafts, and the aftermarket will step up and support them shortly, never fear. As far as mods for power go, how much of that are you willing to spend on a clutch George?? The 6spd clutches are not known for holding loads of power, light mods like an Edge EZ or TS MP8 it will hold, serious mods like a TST set to kill it won't hold LOL

For a good box for that year model I would seriously consider the TST or the TS Performance MP8, the TST if you look to get crazier down the road, the MP8 if you can live with a mere 120HP gain for right now :evil

I looked at the Smarty and it sounds like a good product but I like the "on the fly" adjustability of the Edge Juice with Attitude on my truck. It has the gauges built in and gives you lots of data at your finger tips.

My trucks exhaust and intake are stock but I am going to change that soon. The only times I have EGT issues is on the extreme setting.
I thought about the TST but I would have to do a lot of mods to get the most out of it and the Edge has much smoother power.

Watch the classifieds on DTR, there is usually one on there from time to time from guys who have traded in their truck.

Forgot to answer your question on mileage.
I average 17 between city and highway. You could expect to get 19-20 on the highway if you keep it under 75, my best is ever on the highway is 22 MPG at around 65.