This offseason 2.5 puller engine build opinions

Inbred Inline

Bastard child builder
Starting to plan out my new 2.5 engine this winter and looking for some opinions on parts and options…dedicated puller so i obviously don't care one bit about streetability, I run COTPC rules with a up to date s400 charger.

What i currently have:

'99 5.9 24 valve
13mm P7100 pump RSV governor
6x18 injectors
.091 lines
36 degrees of timing
188/220 cast hamilton cam
12mm main studs
stock rods with L19 bolts
Stock VP pistons delipped
Stock head with some minor air tool porting/polish
crower valve springs
manton pusrods

Currently have roughly 42 hooks on this setup and doing well with it but i believe its starting to get tired, not happy about starting and i don't think it runs like it used to, i know the valve seats are in very bad shape, setup seems to like to be around 3500ish RPMS, its done around 4k. it was a budget motor for a budget truck at the time.

What i am thinking so far…..

Ported head (already in the works)
200/220 cam (have seen in action and seems to be a good s400 cam)
14mm main studs
Shot peened rods
Cam bearings
Oring head
stock replacement wedge style shelf intake
Trend Performance upgraded rocker shafts
Billet valve bridges
New stock rockers (old ones are junk)

Opinions on this so far?

Now for other questions:

Opinions on a oversize valve (1mm) for a S400 limited engine? Seems to me 25-30 CFMs isn't worth $1400 or more?

Stay full 5.9 or try a 6.7 crank? I see all these tractor guys looking for cubes but yet 5.9s hold their own quite well, I'm not quite convinced either way on this subject..

I am going to go bigger on my injectors, is the giant leap to top feed deere bodies worth the massive amount of money on my setup? Either going to stay 6 hole or go to 5 hole like the 12v boys

Is a girdle necessary? 2 years ago i was told it was a complete waste for a 2.5 engine by a VERY reputable engine builder but we have come a long way since then, also MIGHT occasionally hang a s480 on for a couple brush hot class hooks up here in the mitten. overbuilding never hurts???

Should i be running .120 lines? my .091s are treating me well just wondering if theres more to be had both bigger, i realize there is such a thing as too big..

Im sure theres some stuff I'm forgetting but this is a good start

Starting to plan out my new 2.5 engine this winter and looking for some opinions on parts and options…dedicated puller so i obviously don't care one bit about streetability, I run COTPC rules with a up to date s400 charger.

What i currently have:

'99 5.9 24 valve

13mm P7100 pump RSV governor

6x18 injectors

.091 lines

36 degrees of timing

188/220 cast hamilton cam

12mm main studs

stock rods with L19 bolts

Stock VP pistons delipped

Stock head with some minor air tool porting/polish

crower valve springs

manton pusrods

Currently have roughly 42 hooks on this setup and doing well with it but i believe its starting to get tired, not happy about starting and i don't think it runs like it used to, i know the valve seats are in very bad shape, setup seems to like to be around 3500ish RPMS, its done around 4k. it was a budget motor for a budget truck at the time.

What i am thinking so far…..

Ported head (already in the works)

200/220 cam (have seen in action and seems to be a good s400 cam)

14mm main studs

Shot peened rods

Cam bearings

Oring head

stock replacement wedge style shelf intake

Trend Performance upgraded rocker shafts

Billet valve bridges

New stock rockers (old ones are junk)

Opinions on this so far?

Now for other questions:

Opinions on a oversize valve (1mm) for a S400 limited engine? Seems to me 25-30 CFMs isn't worth $1400 or more?

Stay full 5.9 or try a 6.7 crank? I see all these tractor guys looking for cubes but yet 5.9s hold their own quite well, I'm not quite convinced either way on this subject..

I am going to go bigger on my injectors, is the giant leap to top feed deere bodies worth the massive amount of money on my setup? Either going to stay 6 hole or go to 5 hole like the 12v boys

Is a girdle necessary? 2 years ago i was told it was a complete waste for a 2.5 engine by a VERY reputable engine builder but we have come a long way since then, also MIGHT occasionally hang a s480 on for a couple brush hot class hooks up here in the mitten. overbuilding never hurts???

Should i be running .120 lines? my .091s are treating me well just wondering if theres more to be had both bigger, i realize there is such a thing as too big..

Im sure theres some stuff I'm forgetting but this is a good start

I wouldn't waste my money on stock rods, save that money for a set of aftermarket ones.

The main reason for most top feed setups are because they are going into the crossover tubes when they port them. A quality set of 5 hole injectors will make as much power as you need.

Again these are my opinions and I'm sure some people won't agree with them. I'd plan out what class you see your truck competing in down the road and base your build off that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as well about the 6.7 crank. Or I've been thinking of building a sleeved p-pump 6.7 in hopes of going back to 2.6 in the future. I also agree on not wasting time on the rods, or top feed unless your looking to step up later on.

Last edited:
I also made the switch to 5 hole injectors for this season as well, but a job change and a new born have kept me side lined all season so far. I'll be watching this post to get some ideas for my two year plan.

Last edited:
I'll be watching this also interested in building for the 2.5 class over the winter but on a 12v.

I think the full 6.7 would be best. But worst case go with the stroked 5.9 atleast there you have some more lung for the S4. If your going to bump up as money is available do top feeds. Girdle is a necessary. I'm speaking from what were doing around here. We're running peened and polished stock rods for the most part if sticking to 2.5 as per a reputable machine shop. Just my .02

Ryan

I have zero plans so far to ever bump up to 2.6 as I would have to shorten my truck and I'm not interested in doing so

I don't see a gain in adding the 6.7 crank to the 5.9 block. very small gain in cubes. just go with a mpm stroker! I like the 5 hole injector idea.

I have a 5.9 with a 6.7 crank and it was very well worth it. Mine was done mid season with the only change being the crank and matching Pistons. Truck picked up a lot more lug at the end of the track.

If your not going to go above 2.5 I don't see any need to do a full girdle and billet rods unless you just have the extra money. I still run 12mm main studs at what should be 1200hp as well.

If I was going to the effort of using a 6.7 crank, I would be using a 6.7 block also. Especially if you are 24V and plan on new injectors.

Anyone tried the oversized valves on a 5.9? And anyone tried .120s on this small of a setup?

I have a 5.9 with a 6.7 crank and it was very well worth it. Mine was done mid season with the only change being the crank and matching Pistons. Truck picked up a lot more lug at the end of the track.

If your not going to go above 2.5 I don't see any need to do a full girdle and billet rods unless you just have the extra money. I still run 12mm main studs at what should be 1200hp as well.

I would girdle it. Atleast a HMR girdle just for piece of mind. But at 2.5 level I wouldn't do billet rods

I don't see a gain in adding the 6.7 crank to the 5.9 block. very small gain in cubes. just go with a mpm stroker! I like the 5 hole injector idea.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on any of mikes **** after the runaround I got when trying to buy a deckplate engine from him. Chances are you'll never see it.

Ryan

^^^ exactly. I wouldnt order chit from him, let alone a whole engine.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on any of mikes **** after the runaround I got when trying to buy a deckplate engine from him. Chances are you'll never see it.

Ryan

sorry to hear about your troubles. the op and I are friends. was a joke more than anything. :Cheer:

sorry to hear about your troubles. the op and I are friends. was a joke more than anything. :Cheer:

Sorry I took it wrong. I'd just hate to see anyone in the situation I was in just a few months back.

Ryan

I have a set of 5×25 IH bodies for a 12v of you go that way I'll make you a great deal on nvr seen track just shop time!!!
Scheids built them.. also a hypermax ppump!!

Last edited:

Ryan

Yeah nothing associated with that name will ever get put in my truck, i know better LOL

Have made up my mind on some things, anyone care to share opinions on cam grinds? I like what I've seen out of Hamiltons 200-220

I am running Zach's 200/220. I feel it does its job as my truck seems to do well.