Thoughts on building a 200k Common rail

Eastern Diesel

Just wanted some opinions to see if I was going in the right direction, truck has been well maintained almost has 200k miles though I'm kinda concerned with the higher miles?I was thinking the normal supporting mods valve springs,studs,pushrods,lift pump etc. with dual cp3s and 75% injectors or around 180hp and I was thinking a s467 until recently changed my mind to a s369sxe. It's a 6 speed truck and I already have a comp dual disc ready for power mods now and hp tuner done by firepunk I was shooting for 850hp. Thoughts suggestions anything will help thanks

What year CR? As long as blowby isn't excessive, pump her up!

Go with the 67.7 btw

Last edited:
It's a late 04 the 325hp and I don't notice any blow by, I was just thinking a 369 for better spool also was thinking about doing one stud at a time when I install them?

I did one stud at a time on mine seems to be fine. I figure when the gasket blows I'll get 625s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 05 I just sold, it had 250k on it, and 150k of it was with twin turbos. In my opinion the key to the CR's lasting a long time is good injectors, good filtration, and good fuel pressure. A failed injector is the top reason for CR meltdowns

This is only my opinion, but read through which two cylinders seem to fail most often, and try to mitigate that. Simple things like cooling system changes and an exhaust manifold swap can add longevity.

Something smart goes here

Thanks for the help fellas so I should do a second gen manifold and maybe a coolant bypass, I was looking at nozzles as my truck runs perfectly but I'm sure the bodies have to much wear to make good power. I was looking at industrial injection Reman 180hp injectors but also DDP 200hp, if anyone has any suggestions on injectors I'll be glad to listen as this is my first Cr that I'm building up.

Talk to either Exergy or S&S motorsports about injectors. They both are top of the line.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

If I go with new not remans with say ii 180s,DDP200s,Bd200s or Ducky fuel injection will I be alright they all seem to be reputable companies.

Stick with exergy or s&s, they are proven in common rail world. Like stated above, don't forget to address the coolant issue with a coolant bypass kit, fleece makes a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helped a good friend build a 1400hp monster out of a RCLB that had 220k on it when we started. Still runs fine.

Looks like they used the watts valve. You can build it for cheaper, just depends how much time you wanna spend.

the watts valve setup will that do the job compared to like a fleece kit?

I like the idea behind the fleece kit compared to the watts valve, being that the fleece operates with a thermostat. That being said, the fleece looks like a serious PITA to install if the motor is in the truck. I bought all the stuff to make my own bypass kit using a watts valve and it was under $100. (sold the truck before I got it installed though)

heres my thread from a couple years ago for some added info