thoughts on this smoke?

Hawker

P-pumped 24v swapped into an 06 F350. I have had this smoke since the initial startup, some oil residue in the exhaust and I would say normal blowby from the front cover vent. blowby out of the oil cap is enough to bounce it off the cover.

Haven't driven the truck yet, the trans wiring isnt done yet, but the smoke wont clear.

any ideas?

http://youtu.be/UChrYtlB-gI

no, pretty much everything internal was left the way it was when I got the motor. only thing done was the valve lash after the p-pump install.

I wonder if it needs a ring job? Blowby and white smoke could be a lack of compression. Any sort of popping through the exhaust or intake?

no real popping, but what seems to be a slight rough idle. slight to where you have to concentrate on it to notice it.

Might do a leak down test on it and see if the rings are in good shape. I would let others chime in first tho. I'm no cummins expert. Are you positive you set the valve lash correct on all the cylinders?

When you say initial start up did you do a full rebuild or do you mean it's the first time you have ever had that engine running? Sounds to me like it's a piston ring issue.

first time ive had that motor running. no full teardown on it. it hasnt had oil in it, or running for about 8 months now. could be that it needs to run a little more?

or would a stuck ring work its way free?

i cringe at the thought of a ring job. I would rather drive to upstate VT and pick up a running 12v for $1800 to drop in.

Even with new rings you get blow by. Believe it or not one way you can get rid of blow by is drain the cooling system and run it for about 30 min or so. It will set the rings. If they are really worn out it won't work but it's worth a try.

Oil in the exhaust, blowby, and white smoke at idle (low compression) are all signs that the piston rings are worn out. Do a leak down test and that will tell you for sure but I'm fairly positive it's the rings.

Even with new rings you get blow by. Believe it or not one way you can get rid of blow by is drain the cooling system and run it for about 30 min or so. It will set the rings. If they are really worn out it won't work but it's worth a try.

on all the startups ive done, getting wiring straight with the conversion, I havent run coolant, but those have only been for 2-3 minutes at a time.

the video was taken when I filled the radiator and ran it for about 5 minutes or so.

if i drain it, and run it for 30 minutes, its not going to hurt anything else, as far as getting too hot?

Also, if you have oil in your exhaust, it takes awhile for it to burn off. I lost a few o-rings on my injectors last yr an filled the exhaust with oil. After I fixed it, it took a good 15min of freeway driving before it finally cleared up.

With my luck I would do valve seals, get it all back together and it would be rings.

It sat for 8 months....recheck your timing, top off the fluids and run the freakin thing a few weeks.

Yeah, that's what a couple people have been sayin. Plus I have to have the pop off pressures adjusted for the p-pump

Back