Ticking noise in #4 cylinder

MegaCabRam

Its on a 06 with 100k miles, white smokes a little when cranked and when tached up it hangs and is slow to come back down, the tick seems to go away with just a little throttle. If you kill the injector on #4 it quits so I was thinking it was probably the injector but I swapped #4 with #1 and still the same result, kill 4 and it goes away. I'm going to pull the valve cover back off and check the valve adjustment (should have did that to start with) but I really don't think that will be it. I've also checked the coolant with a combustion leak tester and everything looked good. If the valves check out I'm going to do a compression check next, I was kinda thinking piston slap at first but with it stopping when the injector is shut off makes me wonder, anyone have any ideas? Maybe electrical?

I'll check but the reason I don't think so is because it actually gets better when you give it some throttle, if it was a gasket it would probably get louder.

We had an Cummins 8.3 powered Case IH tractor that had the same symptoms. It sounded terrible and like something was coming apart in the bottom end. It had about 4700 hours on it at the time and had been on our farm since new so we knew it's service history and found it hard to believe it could be a rod bearing. A neighbor told us to check exhaust manifold leaks as they had gone through something similar and it did indeed end up being exhaust leaks on the manifold. After milling the manifold and installing new gaskets the sound was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also check the bracket on #4 fuel line. A loose bracket ticks really loud at idle.

Set the valves on #4, Compression is over 400 on all cylinders... I'm goin to check everything over real good before i put it back together. Before I tore it apart this morning I killed #4 again and the noise still quits but one thing I did notice is when I would kill other injectors besides 4 it almost seemed to get worse. Also there's a p0606 that sets sometimes.

You could also check the bracket on #4 fuel line. A loose bracket ticks really loud at idle.

I'm putting it back together now but I think you nailed it, the bracket is loose on #4 it's rubbed it shiny. Sucks I've went thru all this trouble but it'll just be another lesson learned I guess...

Back