Tightened my valve lash today

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
After doing some reading on the benefits of tightening the valve lash down to .008/.018 instead of .010/.020 I decided to go ahead and try it. It's definitely worth it. I picked up a 150rpm of spool up which with a 72/74/.09 t4 turbo on a tight auto is a lot. The turbo now spools just about as quick as my 66/71/13ss and is more responsive. I'm currently running a 181/210 cam. I'm going to try and get video of it later this week but thought I'd share my findings with yall. I've also noticed that my valve noise is reduced as well and the engine is a tad quieter and a tad smoother.

Honestly I don't remember. It's his basic off the shelf 181/210 from last year.

This is actually some good info..

I just freakin adjusted mine, wish I would have had this info a week ago..
Oh well not like it's hard to pull the cover.

I went to .008 and .015 with mine and like it. It helped out my 76mm turbo lol.

zach did mulsha's (george) and he said it really quieted it down

i believe egt temps might be alittle higher (150*) but spool and hp was up 50+ hp over F1 cam

When doing our cams, if you have a clean burning truck you will see a big drop in temps. If you are putting our cam into a truck with a decent amount of unburned fuel the extra air we provide allows more of it to be burned creating more heat. To tell the full picture, you would need to be able to find temps in the combustion chamber. That along with cylinder pressures in a running engine is something I plan on trying to tackle this next year when funds and time allow it. At that point it would be nice to see how we compare to the competition. Marketing and hype is pointless when you have that kind of data!

btw bgbldodge you got a 107LSA
Zach

Last edited:
When doing our cams, if you have a clean burning truck you will see a big drop in temps. If you are putting our cam into a truck with a decent amount of unburned fuel the extra air we provide allows more of it to be burned creating more heat. To tell the full picture, you would need to be able to find temps in the combustion chamber. That along with cylinder pressures in a running engine is something I plan on trying to tackle this next year when funds and time allow it. At that point it would be nice to see how we compare to the competition. Marketing and hype is pointless when you have that kind of data!

Zach

That would be awesome to see! I hope you get to it

btw bgbldodge you got a 107LSA
Zach

That'd be awesome info Zach and thanks. This cam makes driving this setup possible.

Would tightening up that much be worth it with my stock cam? Or are those numbers aimed at aftermarket cams? I asked you about adjusting my valves the other day, so I did a little reading. I just need to go give it a shot.

Yes it'll help but probably not be as big a difference. Lashing valves is simple. Took me an hour. Longest part of the process is turning the motor over and finding tdc by yourself using a barring tool. Using the alternator nut would be much quicker and easier but my alternator nut came loose and I haven't been able to spin the motor over by that since.

I just set my valves lastnight and I guess toms have done a number on them. Runs much better now. Should I redo them to 8 and 18 with my stock cam or would it even be worth it?

I just set my valves lastnight and I guess toms have done a number on them. Runs much better now. Should I redo them to 8 and 18 with my stock cam or would it even be worth it?

He pretty much answered that in the post above yours....

Would tightening up that much be worth it with my stock cam? Or are those numbers aimed at aftermarket cams? I asked you about adjusting my valves the other day, so I did a little reading. I just need to go give it a shot.

I did it and thought it to be worth it on my stock cammed 12v. Don't expect the world but it was a noticeable improvement. I had more details in another thread on Zach's sponsor section I think.

I did it and thought it to be worth it on my stock cammed 12v. Don't expect the world but it was a noticeable improvement. I had more details in another thread on Zach's sponsor section I think.

I'll see if I can find it. Thanks!

So this is gonna be a :doh: question, but by changing the valve lash (tightening it in this case) what exaclty is this affecting as far as the intake and exhaust flow and how is the performance of the engine enhanced?

Last edited:
If you think about it, it not only increases lift, but increases duration.

On the engine stand we played around with it and depending on the rocker ratio and the ramp rate, it can affect the opening from 1-5 degrees. Earlier opening exhaust spools the charger faster, which creates a snappier bottom end by pushing the turbo a little hotter. It gives a little bit more overlap as well which can draw more air in the cylinder in low boost scenarios where boost is higher than drive pressure like cruising at 60mph.

Be curious, screw around with every setting on your truck and watch the gauges, It is a hell of a good time playing. Not every horsepower has to be paid for with a credit card ;)

Zach

Last edited:
Ill be doing mine to .008 and .015 on my truck as soon as I get the head back... I talked with Zach about this subject and he filled me in on alot of info!
Really good guy to talk with!!

I am glad to see that Tyler is making more power....you work miracles Zach! lol I've been running mine at .010/.015 for 5 years now, it helps for sure. I'm on a stock cam, for now.