time for new turbo

dodge2003

So I got a VGT for a good price and put it on my 5.9L using a Fleece controller.

I have since added stage 1 BBI and have high EGT issues.

And as I have now come to there realization I rarely tow (Jeep on a car trailer) I am looking to upgrade the turbo. No need for the exhaust brake and want to get rid of the restriction of the small VGT exhaust housing.

I am looking at the BD Killer B with a BD exhaust manifold. Also a new down pipe.

So am I getting the right setup for daily driving and light towing?

I want as little lag as possible while lowing the EGT. I hit 1600 on the dyno.

Currently for daily driving it is ok but when towing on a hill the EGT gauge climbs quickly.

Thanks for the help! :rockwoot:

Just my my 2 cents man, but if it is time for a new turbo and you are considering a manifold as well why not get a steed with the external gate port, flanged for the vgt and add a charger for a fun set of all around twins? I believe source automotive sells a fairly complete kit like this.

From your sig it looks like you have a decent build. If it were me, i would get something along the lines of an s366, especially if your towing is minimal. What are your future plans for the truck?

Just lite towing (jeep on car trailer) and driving the streets. Once in a while going to the drags. :-)

HTT 63/68/14 sounds the best so far.

Any input from you Cummins gear heads would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In your first post you said you rarely tow. Plus a jeep on a car hauler is a light load (usually) anyway. I think a 63 is on the small side. If you are anything like me youre going to wish you went bigger, especially since you mentioned youll be drag racing.

I am virtually at sea level in Oregon. I think I am under 1000 feet.

The Jeep and trailer are under 8000lbs.

We have some good hills as I am in the valley (near Portland) and so going east or west involves a climb.

I do drive mostly not towing but if I do tow I want to be sure the turbo is not to laggy and I have a low EGT.

I have stock tires on my 2003 and 3:73 gears so they are not the best for towing.

Thanks for the help!

So would a SUPER PHATSHAFT 64/80 be better (64/71/14)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Back