Timing a 12v with a protractor?

Ncdodgeman32

Hey everyone bought my first 12v and iam trying to get the pump timing set to 20* my ? Is if I have motor set tdc can I just mark that the put a protractor on the damper and going off of my tdc just move crank till desired timing degree is met on protractor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You could do that, or you could measure the outside diameter of the damper to find the perimeter, then divide it by 360. That'll give you the distance per degree.

Hey everyone bought my first 12v and iam trying to get the pump timing set to 20* my ? Is if I have motor set tdc can I just mark that the put a protractor on the damper and going off of my tdc just move crank till desired timing degree is met on protractor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using
Keep in mind if the pump timing pin isn't in the window, or the pump isn't pinned, it will likely move when you knock the gear loose. You don't have to use the pin insert tool, it will stay in place with it just in the window. So start from that position, knock the gear loose, then back the balancer up how many degrees you want over the stock 12 to 13* they're set at.

Also a good idea to role the balancer farther back, then back clockwise to your mark to account for gear backlash.

then back the balancer up how many degrees you want over the stock 12 to 13* they're set at.

If you're pretty certain the pump has not been repinned to a different time, this information should be on a riveted on stamped tag on the tide of the timing cover.

Also a good idea to role the balancer farther back, then back clockwise to your mark to account for gear backlash.

x2. Also, I'd write down where you set timing, but don't get hung up on making it perfect. I'd pick a place to start, then try it in a couple spots +- a few deg to see what works best.

Power driven diesel has a magnetic degree wheel for the balancer works prett good.