Timing Exhaust "pop"

schaef_12

Diesel Junkie
Since bumbing my timing to 15.5* I get a "pop" around 15-1700 rpm. Just wondering if this is normal or not? I thought I may have read something about it being detrimental to performance and how do i cure the problem without retarding the timing?

Is it a pop or turbo barking. I cured mine with more air. Mine would only do it under load though.

I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but are you SURE you set it right? The only popping/sputtering I've ever experienced was due to too little timing

From your mods, I would be running the timing around 17-20. Just my opinion. But I also run 40 degrees on the street too!!!:ft:

Later

Adam

Forrest Nearing said:
I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but are you SURE you set it right? The only popping/sputtering I've ever experienced was due to too little timing

Almost positive the timing is set correctly. Its not really a sputter, it just kinda "pops" a few times and then sounds like normal. Maybe the timing is off.

you hear about mild stumbling issues w/ smaller pumps, but I've never really heard anything like that from a 215 pump, nor have I experienced it with any of the 180 or 215 trucks I've owned

Thats the funny thing, It doesnt stumble or run rough, or blow white smoke or anything. The reason the timing got set to 15 is because the timing slipped and it popped with slipped timing. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

schaef mine sliped on me last night bad after we got it running again i would just go ahead and recheck your timeing and see if that was the case

Forrest Nearing said:

X2

With the proper amount of fuel you can make great big smoke rings when the timing is to late.

97Rebel said:
X2

With the proper amount of fuel you can make great big smoke rings when the timing is to late.

so maybe that's what my free rev problem is, if I rev it it'll pop and sputter. Do you's think I need alot more than 16.5?

try simple things like fuel filters and stuff first.

Then i would go to the timing end of things. 16.5 should be plenty for your truck.

Lance

Mine is poping real bad when i hammer it, huge amount of white smoke. I can ease in to it and it does fine, very strong. timeing at 16 deg.
Any ideas??
TOMMY

like i said at first.......... try all the fuel things first and THEN go to timing. SIMPLE THINGS FIRST
check filters and check for air leaks with shop air. take the rubber feed line off of the lift pump and blow both ways and see if you hear any air (except for in the tank)

Lance

Back