timing for marine 370s

garretthart13

i just purchased these injectors and im guessing they are marine 370s, but ive got to get my truck running and they were a cheap right now answer. what would be the maximum amount of timing i would want to set?

Garrett, we were talking about this way back in say 2003 on the TDR, finally got to pull the head on a 12V after running 370's for about a year and a half at a high power level and you could see the spray pattern in the pistons, it was right at the edge of the bowl at 17.5. Nothing wrong with running higher and a tad out of the bowl but you won't see much gain except lag on the turbo. I have big bowl pistons and still only run 20....hope this helps!

Jim

yah it does , thanks alot for the input, ill start at 17. ive been wanting a bore-scope so i could get one and peak down in there once i move up from 17 and see what kind of spray on the bowl i am getting

Seems like a good deal but why are they on sale? Is it because nobody is buying them and sticking with 5 holes? I've heard that the 7 hole will atomize fuel better at a set horsepower than a 5 hole. So they would give you a more complete burn and that may mean better mpg's. I'll say one thing if you do go with the marines put "thin" injector washes in. I had sock thickness and it hazed pretty good. So when I did a headgasket I did the thin ones and it doesn't haze very much. Hope this helps but everyone will tell you to get injectors from "smokem" on here. I guess he's a pretty good guy I never delt with him. Good luck.

Last edited:
They have a 3 degree wider cone angle than the marine nozzle.

The Denso 7x0.010" has a cone angle of 158 degrees, a Bosch Marine 5x0.012" has a cone angle of 155 degrees, and a Bosch stock nozzle has a cone angle of 145 degrees.

This makes me want to pull out the scope and look in and see how my pattern hits now. Curious to see how it mine are hitting.

They are 7x0.010" in stock form, so no.

iv heard of guys milling the body of the injector down ( where the copper sealing washer sits) to get the nozzle deeper into the cylinder, is there any ill effects from doing this? can you still run the thin washers or will you run into clearance issues?

I've done this also, but it is a small gain. I would take no more than 0.040" off, which is only relative to 2° cone angle.