timing slipping?

1995ford_kid

CUMMINS boy now!!
i have adjusted my timing twice and it keeps silipping and blowing white smoke but as soon as it warms up its fine unless i rev it up then white smokes....
so i thought mabey i was doing something wrong so i gave it to chris warner at jefferson state diesel and he adjusted it put a new washer and nut on and it STILL slips timing ? anyone have any tips or tricks?

Did you pull the cover yet or did you just pull the filler neck to adjust? How many miles on the truck?

Pull the front cover and pump gear. Clean the gear and shaft really good with some brake clean. Take some sand paper and rough the surface lightly and put back together. Either the gear and shaft are not getting cleaned good or your not getting the nut tight enough.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I use 3/4" washers reamed out to just barely fit the pump shaft.

Did you pull the cover yet or did you just pull the filler neck to adjust? How many miles on the truck?

just pulled the neck off and adjusted it and the guy i bought it from used as a frarm truck so was in dirt and dust alot but only has 190k on it? but i was told mabey a seal cracked on it so dust got in there or mabey dirt!? not sure?

Pull the front cover and pump gear. Clean the gear and shaft really good with some brake clean. Take some sand paper and rough the surface lightly and put back together. Either the gear and shaft are not getting cleaned good or your not getting the nut tight enough.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

thats wat ima have to do...pull the whole cover off..and sand that..that was my last option i was hoping i could get away with not having to hahaha....

Na take the nut off and washer. Buy a 3/4 grade 8 washer from the hardware store and ream the inside out with a carbide burr to get it to barely fit over the pump shaft. Replce nut and tighten to 165 ft lbs.

Na take the nut off and washer. Buy a 3/4 grade 8 washer from the hardware store and ream the inside out with a carbide burr to get it to barely fit over the pump shaft. Replce nut and tighten to 165 ft lbs.

OK ill try this and this only i have to pull of the oil fill tube correct?
and 165lbs is alot are u sure or is that a typo? mabey tahts my problem..hahah crapp

another question for anyone i dont care? just need advice
with everything in my signiture? should my timing be at 17.5 is that a good timing set?
jefferson state diesel did plate and gov springs with pump tuning and set it at 17.5 i was asking mabey its to much or not enough? or wat?

That should be a good setting. I like 17-19* myself for a good all around street setup. You may want to try and work so brake cleaner inbetween the shaft and gear by using that little red straw. While doing that make sure that you move the gear around some to keep a small gap. This is how I do mine and have only had the timing slip once. And an epic slip it was as it required a logging chain o get her home.

Yeah just pull the oil fill, and yep 155ft lbs is spec. I go a little farther, but try 160.

i have adjusted my timing twice and it keeps silipping and blowing white smoke but as soon as it warms up its fine unless i rev it up then white smokes....
so i thought mabey i was doing something wrong so i gave it to chris warner at jefferson state diesel and he adjusted it put a new washer and nut on and it STILL slips timing ? anyone have any tips or tricks?

Adjustable gear and waallaa!!!! No more slips

Yeah I don't think you can get them too tight. I normally torque mine to 180 or so and never had a problem with it slipping yet. Every time i take the gear off I clean it really good and I normally take the washer and put a little more spring in it. seems to work for me.

Never had either, and never had a pump slip either. Diesel shop by me does all of theirs to 200ft lbs too.

I say pull cover, clean the hell out of it, take care of kdp, an tighten that nut up.

Thanx everyone yeah chris knows wat hes doing hes really good to all of us down here and thanx again im fix it this weekend...KDP is fixed already!!