Timing ?

Dwayne Duke

Howdy, im new to the site. My 95' 12v makes a noticable rattling noise when the TC is locked and under moderate acceleration.:confused: Sounds like something is wrong with the valves, but i re-adjusted valve clearances and the noise persists. Could it be the TC is on its last leg, or the timing slipped?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the site, it's a great place with lots of smart folks and a few like me :)

Does the truck shudder while it's making this noise? This should be a sign of converter troubles from what I've experienced on other vehicles. I'm still learning about these though so wait and someone smarter will chimie in soon.

George

What RPM are you getting the rattle at?

The truck doesnt shudder, it sounds more like valve clatter, but i adjusted the valve lash and its still there... I only hear it when tc is locked and the engine is lugged??? but at any cruising rpm its not there, only when i step on the accelerator...?

Flesplate

If the timing slipped I would think you would notice more smoke at start up or a stumble on throttle up. Might even be tough to start. If this just started all of a sudden like..... I'd have to guess flex-plate.

Last edited:
Dwayne Duke said:
Howdy, im new to the site. My 95' 12v makes a noticable rattling noise when the TC is locked and under moderate acceleration.:confused: Sounds like something is wrong with the valves, but i re-adjusted valve clearances and the noise persists. Could it be the TC is on its last leg, or the timing slipped?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dwayne Duke Just curious to know if you found "your rattling noise"

Is the noise faint or loud? It is only heard when the TC is locked...you can't hear it any other way?

Ok, call me crazy but 'pushrod' comes to mind for some reason? :bang

Last edited:
My 96 4WD 3500 rattled under the same conditions. The end of the pivot bolt for the transfer case lever was touching the side of the case. I bent the steel flange through which the bolt passes away from the case slightly to reveal a shiny spot on the case. The rattle subsided. I posted a picture called Rattle.jpg at http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/showgallery.php?cat=2

Last edited:
there is a TSB about a rattle like this on dodges
the transfer case shifter rattles against something (like stated above) and caused one hell of a racket. i just got under my truck and added a little more spring tension to my shifter by bending the bracket out a little that the spring is attached to....
its much easier to understand when you get under the truck and see for yourself