timing

pwrstrokenstang

oil burner pulling team
how are yall checking timing w/ a light? i got a light and pulse adapter and need to check a buddys. thanks

you need to get the marking tape that wraps around the damper with timing marks on it, and mount a pointer on the front of the engine. set the motor at TDC on #1 then put the marking tape on so its lined at for 0* at the pointer.

then you can use the timing light with the pulse adapter on the #1 injection line and see where it shows up on the marks on the damper.

that im not sure of...i need to get one myself to fit my fluidamper so i can check mine

couldnt a person make a tape? if you know the diameter you could figure out circumference and then divide it by 360 degrees. as long as you could print it in full size you could do it on autocad or a similar program..

if you bought a fluidampr, they will send you a tape for free. I think he was a member here, maybe a search would find it?

couldnt a person make a tape? if you know the diameter you could figure out circumference and then divide it by 360 degrees. as long as you could print it in full size you could do it on autocad or a similar program..

true never thought of that. as long as i can get +/- 2 its close enough for me.

if you could do it on a cad program and print it full size you should have very little error..

that would only work on a stock dampner though wouldn it. thats what he has but jus thinkin.

no it would work on any as long as you knew the circumference.. i never thought about that but i would think dividing by 180 would be correct.

U dont need tape , put it on top dead , mark the dampener with a paint pin or what ever I drew a white line on mine then took a piece of wire off the front of the engine and it lays across the marking on the balancer now turn it on and move the dial on yr light to when the marks line up that tells u were yr at , its very simple once u get the hang of it and always hook it up the same way even the line clamp

basically what i did. the light i used had the adjustable degree deal and i made a lil timing pointer that bolted to the timing cover, set at tdc and marked it. was 25 lol i think thats why he couldn lite the s400 and only had a max of 1k degree egts.

My friend added a plate and raised timing to 23 and gained 100 hp same pump and DV as yrs

I wouldnt move the timing IMO

Back