Tinker time

Vizsla

This weekend-

1-Swapping pedestal to the 03 version(got it powdercoated)from my 06 pedistal. I really feel that although it bolts up with 2 bolts now(both fell out the day it was installed-loctited them myself and they have been good ever since), 3 should help with the little bit of harmonics that are present, and being my passenger side up-pipe is sans egr connection the extra support is justified.

2-wrapping up-pipes and y-pipe with heat wrap, and painting manifolds with "special heat coating paint". What do you guys think of the heat wrapping project? Bear in mind when DJ did my engine, he discarded all of my heat shields.

3-Updating my egr cooler delete. Used the crackpipe method(cut egr cooler) and some sloppy welds(I am a lousy welder), Got a welder to fab me up a revised model with some fancy fab work and it looks good. Here is a pic of one in case someone is unfamilliar with the crackpipe mod. Is using a hose to make the turn given anyone a problem, mine has held up for a month or so or should I have a stainless pipe fabbed up instead? Do I need to weld egr valve shut?

Thanks!

Attachments

• egrdeletetrick-1-1.jpg
    egrdeletetrick-1-1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 40
i take it you got the whole intake mani out?..if so why not just weld everything shut. I wish i took pics of how i did mine. simply concept though, closed off the valve and the cooler, put a fitting in where the coolant passes and then used some 5/8 hose with that goodyear spring thing for making sharp bends. on the uppipe i cut off the welds for the flange and layed a pipe of stainless pipe over it, and welded it closed.

Too late. Up-pipe does have scoop cut out and plate welded over it. I prefer the crackpipe mod for 3 reasons. 1-The egr entrance to the manifold is welded shut with a plate on the crackpipe(it is wierd to say that). 2-It is not the greatest idea to try and weld anything to the cast aluminum intake manifold. 3-I can very easily return mine to stock if needed, I still have alot of warranty time.

i guess so, i mean i know im out of warranty for the most part. and welding to cast isnt bad at all. if you got a tig its actually really easy. just make sure the mani is super clean. mine turned out great. i have an 03 and i also cut out the balance port on mine too

Thanks for the sping/hose tip. Was using the smallest radius hose I could scrounge up at the parts store, but I always wondered if/when it would kink.

you are worried about warranty with 190's and and aftermarket turbo and fuel intensifier?

why is welding onto the intake bad..we do it all the time and it is pressure tested and works great..been on my truck just like that for damn near 2 years now.

you are worried about warranty with 190's and and aftermarket turbo and fuel intensifier?

why is welding onto the intake bad..we do it all the time and it is pressure tested and works great..been on my truck just like that for damn near 2 years now.

All of which can be undone if needed, u know warranty or selling truck. Can't really unweld my intake now can I? Along time ago, I inquired about getting my intake welded up. Told that due to dissimilar materials (cast vs. plate) that I wanted to use, could become a problem at some point. Maybe I got bad info? Maybe not.

i think adams point is that if your going through all the trouble of adding aftermarket mods, maybe some can be switched back..sticks. not just a 10 minute job..nor is anything on these trucks. but for knowing that you can buy something that has been used many many times ago why not. its like a nice insurance for your truck and all your parts...my truck is barely modded..main reason im broke and 2nd reason i know other things will fail first, so instead of buying go fast parts i started fixing all the weak stuff now. my trans is gone so now i need to deal with that.

and as far as welding, as long as you use aluminum then you can weld to it, with a ton of help from adam! the guy is a little mean but when it comes to EGRs he knows his stuff really well!.

we have worked on Viszla's truck..he knows us..

We weld all the time..no problems..Even on the 03 early 04 we cut the crossover tube off the rear and weld it up to make it look very similar to a late 04 style.

I know you can reinstall all of your stock parts..but after buying a set of stock sticks and stock turbo and stock up pipe..you probably could have just fixed it yourself and save time and money.

All of which can be undone if needed, u know warranty or selling truck. Can't really unweld my intake now can I? Along time ago, I inquired about getting my intake welded up. Told that due to dissimilar materials (cast vs. plate) that I wanted to use, could become a problem at some point. Maybe I got bad info? Maybe not.

aluminum is aluminum... it's not like the old days where people said you couldn't weld "pot metal" cause it wouldn't hold...

abrannan is right. get someone who knows how to properly use a TIG welder and has aluminum tig experience (let me know if you near vegas) and it can be fabbed up simple as can be. doesn't matter that the alum. is cast or not.

i don't know of anyone personally who has had a problem with the hose on the u-bend, however i've heard stories of them failing under heat/stress what not, but none that have actually been confirmed.
what the hell do you guys mean by 'crackpipe' ? are you referring to the passenger side up pipe with the flex section in it that is prone to cracking ?

The crackpipe is the little pic of the section of the egr cooler that you cut off to hook everything up. Like I said My welding skills are nil and b4 Adam came up with his kit I thought about welding it up, but I got the no from a local shop. This 6.0 modding has been murphys law x10 for me, and is why I pick the minds on this site. First turbo, VGT-SS did not even make it home. Second one works good, but has been out twice already(2nd time bolts fell out on my way home)due to leaky seals, probably from surging, but Eric got that fixed on his first try. I have a good repore with my dealer(10 trucks in 12 years will do that), but I can't really roll in with too much missing on it if a rep would drop by. They are cool with the sticks and turbo(turbo looks stock). Fuel+ is pretty much the same as factory but with bigger lines and remote regulator instead of in the filter housing. All gremlins aside, got it working good and I love it, hauls ass. From experience I could not agree more about fixing it myself, very few techs put the effort into vehicles that you would yourself. Adam is one hell of a guy, maybe relax a little now that he is a vendor, but he has a great product and everyone knows it. If it fit my situation I would own it.

Back