Tiny car - big power..

tb205gti

Hi.

My nick is tb205gti - because I once owned a Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6 - ahh those was the days ;) Once you get older you (well some..) get wiser, so I have jumped the derv wagon. Since I'm not from the US, I drive a tiny car.

It is a Peugeot 206 HDI 2.0l 8v HDI. It's a 1st gen CommonRail engine producing mahooosive 90BHp and 205Nm. When it was new Peugeot decided they would not fit an intercooler, so I have added a 8L intercooler.

Apart from the intercooler the following has been added/changed:

2nd gen. Railpressure sensor (1800bar)
Uprated Sachs clutch pressureplate, running std. friction plate.
Mitsubishi TF035 VNT turbo (From a BMW 320d, 177BHp)
Std. exhaust, added middle silencer (straight through) and straightthrouh backbox.
100 cells motorsports catalytic converter
Uprated engine mounts.
238mm grooved discs (original is 247mm)
Coilover suspension, lowered approxx. 40mm.
And finally my own custom remap, with VNT control, launchcontrol and other small very custom things.

And the power - well it is not much by your standards running 6L engine, but I'm quite chuffed with it.

200Hk_435NM.jpg

..and a rr session where it produced 193BHp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfNE3DntnQ&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Next mod is uprated pressurepipes, I use an original lower pipe that is made from plastic and only has a 38mm inside diameter. Better exhaust, I'm hopng to go stainless 2.5" with the same silencers (they are 2.5")
And then the biggest issues, my HP pump (CP1, R70) is running on it's limit right now. Any tips for getting more flow from it?
Injectors, the DW engine uses injector tips that have a unique angle, no other tip has the same angle. Bosch Motorsport will make custom tips with the right angle, but at a price of 1000 Euro a piece.. Any tips?

Last edited:
Sweet. :D We've got a few members on here from across the pond. Where over there are you from? And welcome to CompD. :rockwoot:

**edit** Check out member "jeemu". He's got a pretty nice build thread going and has a lot of info on a car he's building. He may be able to help you some. I wanna say he had a similar issue with his injector tips and had looked into extrude honing them or something, but I'm not sure what came of that. Here is his build thread: NOS. Help burn diesel at high rpm - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited:
Killer! That horse power curve is very nice. As far as the CP1, I bet some of the simple do it yourself CP3 mods could also work on your pump. Looks like the FCA is a similar style and I assume they have a mid pressure gear pump on the rear also. Here is a link to some mods you can do.

Relentless Diesel View topic - DIY CP3 Mods

I also bet anyone who can mod CP3's could also increase the flow from a CP1.

Injector tips may be easier to find a close of a match as possible and machine the piston bowls to match the tips. Or have your stock tips Extrude-honed.

as far as injectors go, instead of having larger nozzles made. have your factory ones EDM'd to a larger diameter hole. it only takes a couple thousandths of an inch to make a big difference. you might be able to bandaid the cp1 pump with a larger lift pump/ filter setup feeding a higher pressure into it. possibly feeding another high pressure hose from cp1 pump to the rail (decreases rail recovery time, increases flow into rail) and also a higher pressure overflow valve, or shim kit for it.

these are the pretty common tips n tricks for domestic common rail trucks here. but i dont know how similar everything is between the two other than operation.

conrats on doubling the power output of that engine. i hope it keeps growing and parts dont fail as soon as expected (e.g. connecting rods)

Go big and get a CP3! :D

Nice car!

Welcome!

I could do that, but that would require some manufacturing done.

On the CP1 the pressure regulator sits in the pump, on the cp3 there is a flow regulator in the pump. I could fit the CP3 and leave the flow regulator disconnected (since they run full flow at 0% DC) and then get a railbar with room for the pressure regulator and just regulate the pressure here. Mercedes uses a railbar with integrated pressure regulator and 4 cylinders. :)

I'm unsure of the downsides of running full flow in the pump all the time. Whar will pump wear be like? As for the remapping - that is not an issue since I do it all myself.

Back