• 35/12.5 Cooper STT

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 35/12.5 BF Goodrich

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

MD-LUCKY

Difficult To Pronounce...
Considering 3 different tires.

I'm currently running the Cooper STTs. I've been very happy with the road noise, the life (over 60k on this set!), and the traction. However, I've had 3 flat tires that I've had to repair. Not very happy about that.

I'm really thinking about dropping down a tiny bit it size and width. I think I've found the perfect tire for me, but want to compare against a few other options. If anyone has run the Goodyear, I would really appreciate any feedback you can give.

I have the MT/Rs on my Bronco. I've had nothing but good luck with them. I'm just a little curious how they will do on a full size, heavy truck. Opinions?

The other two options are the STT (again), and the BF offering. I have a set I can pick up for about $250 per tire. They are the new Mud Terrain style (like the krawler), not the older tread design. They feel extremely soft, and I'm worried about tire life out of them.

So, out of these 3 choices, what would you run?

Any other tires to consider? The biggest tire I would like to run is a 35/12.5 (17 inch wheel). The Goodyears are closer to a 34/12, which to me would be the ideal size. Anything betwee those would be fine also..

Probably making a decision very soon, so any help is greatly appreciated!!

The Goodyear:
http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/tires_brand/tire_detail.php?id=713

Current STT:
http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/tires_brand/tire_detail.php?id=1693

BF Goodrich:
http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/tires_brand/tire_detail.php?id=7895

Thanks in advance!

I run the goodyear mt/r on my truck. They seem to be a really good tire. I have about 22,000 to 25,000 on them right now and I think they have about 50% tread left on them. They do great in the mud and slop, they wear slow, they hook good on dry roads, (not so much in the rain but what mud tire doesn't?) and the look good. However, they are kinda noisy on the road. As for the BFG I think they will wear pretty fast too. A buddy of mine had them for a while, they seemed to wear alot for the miles. Maybe somebody else could speak for them?

I'm having a hard time finding anyone to say anything bad about either of those 3 choices! That is what slowed me up before ordering.

The size thing is also a big factor. I don't want to give up the RPMs on the freeway by dropping down from a 35, but I wouldn't mind picking back up a little of the in-town fuel economy by going to a smaller tire. I'm thinking that is where the Goodyears would come up. Just slightly shorter, slightly narrower, and should still fill up the wheel wells nicely.

Thank you all for the responses so far. Keep them coming!

I'd go with the goodyears if they gave me the option. But any of the three are good tires.. Only one I can run is going to be the STT though.

I would say BFG. I know its not an option and many people dont like them but I recently got the mickey thompson baja atz and love them. I have about 5000 on em w/ virtually no wear. My baddy had them and they lasted him a good while but not sure the miles its all about what you drive how you drive it and what yoy haul.

P.S. ATZ do throw rocks like a biotch though when brand new.

After my brother went with the Cooper's on his Z71 I really liked them, but I have some 35x12.5R17 (H2 knock-offs) BFG AT's and for the price I got I love them! For what you can find a set for on Ebay or Craigslist, my vote is for the BFG's... I paid $600 for 5 on wheels, already mounted and balanced from the factory and zero miles.

Thank you all for the advice!

I made a decision, and I went with the Goodyears. I've had good luck on my 66 bronco with them, and I really wanted to go with just a slightly smaller tire. I get 18.6-18.8mpg hand calculated like clock work. If I can break into that magic 20 range, I would do back flips.

Thanks again!

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39402