Tire pressure?

strokedviking

just got a set of mickey thompson ATZ's 33-13.5/18
i was having an argument today with a guys who said i was insane for running 60psi in my tires. he said i should be running like 35psi in the front and 40psi in the rear.
anywhay he was saying that i would get better tire life and wear if i ran that low of psi yada yada yada....i told him that 65psi is the tires max and i have always used either max or just below max tire pressure with every tire.
so it got me thinking, is this guy out to lunch, or am i going crazy? please list your set up and what pressures you guys run please! if i get better life out of the tire with less pressure in it, then i will lower the pressure. despite my hate for a soft wollohey ride.
thanks!

I run 42 in front and 38 in back on my Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts. I ran 40 in front and 35 in back on the Toyo M/Ts I had.

I always run about 5psi under the max the tire manufacture recommends.
But for some reason I can't keep tread on my read tires.:evil
Running lower pressure I would think could lead to a blow out at high speeds. That's what I think, I could be wrong though.
I think low pressure is just a comfort thing. Unless your off road.

This is a tough one. I have ridden in 2 trucks with those ATZs And they ride the same with eith 10psi or 80 psi in them for some reason. There isn't really a cut and dry PSI to go with on it because of different vehicle configurations and weights. The easy way and very low tech version of over or under inflated would be to drive across some water and then roll through some dirt. If the outter tread blocks don't have dirt on them then you probably have a little too much air in them and will wear out the center faster. So drop the pressure untill the tire is evenly covered. This however goes out the window once you tow something since you will need more air in them.

I run 90% of max in the front and 80% in the rear, unless I load the back down.

why would you run less pressure in the rear? wouldnt you want less pressure in the front for a better ride? Although ever since switching to rotella and runing max psi my mileage has jumped up!!!!

im also curous abotu this i have nitto terra grapplers 35 by 12.5 by 20... any input. right now i have the tires filled with nitrogen and i dont tow to much any more

smokin_6.0 said:
why would you run less pressure in the rear? wouldnt you want less pressure in the front for a better ride? Although ever since switching to rotella and runing max psi my mileage has jumped up!!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say run slightly more pressure in the front tires than the rear due the the weight. That way the front tires and the rear tires hit the pavement the same so all four wear evenly. This will also keep the footprint the same. You just have to figure out what pressures give you the best footprint, or traction so to speak. If you don't run more pressure in the front tires, the edges will hit and the middle of the tread pattern won't hit the pavement as much as the edges do. Then they wear like crap. And for what we pay for tires now days, that ain't good.

The higher the pressure, the lower the rolling resistance and the better the fuel economy you will have, but the more joint in the road you will feel in the seat of your pants. The lower the pressure, the more traction you will have up to a point and the faster you will wear the edges off your tires. I have to run max in mine in order to keep up with the weight I pull on my trailers, but it is a game. Just try to stay ahead.

The best thing to do it rotate, rotate, rotate. I know, it is a pain in the pants, but a good thing.

Last edited:
PSDPlayer said:
This is a tough one. I have ridden in 2 trucks with those ATZs And they ride the same with eith 10psi or 80 psi in them for some reason. There isn't really a cut and dry PSI to go with on it because of different vehicle configurations and weights. The easy way and very low tech version of over or under inflated would be to drive across some water and then roll through some dirt. If the outter tread blocks don't have dirt on them then you probably have a little too much air in them and will wear out the center faster. So drop the pressure untill the tire is evenly covered. This however goes out the window once you tow something since you will need more air in them.

I'm one of those guys. I run 18 x 9's with 35 x 13.5. I run 40 in the front and 35 in the rear. It rides smoother then before when I ran 50 in the front and 45 rear. This tire is a pain to keep balanced.

there's a big arse diesel motor up front so you'd need a little more pressure. on the rear, unless you have a load in the bed or on a trailer, there's not much weight, hence the less pressure.

Back