Tires

Search feature does wonders... But since i'm bored.
Everyone will tell you Toyo Proxes II, Nitto 420s.
305-50-20 is a 32"ish tire

What tires brand model and size would be good for street and strip?

I was just searching on the same thing. I'm thinking 305/50/20s, and it's between Toyo ST, Toyo STII or the Nitto 420s. I'm leaning toward the 420s, but like the looks of the STs.

Opinions?????

Searching is great for old opinions, but that's history. The best way to get a current one, is to ask.

Searching is what got me to 305/50/20, and the 3 tires mentioned. But thru all of the old threads, the opinions on the 420s, STs,or STIIs were pretty close. So I'm looking for the most current opinion. Probably going with the STlls, cause it sounds like they're the only ones with decent track traction, that can handle snow too. But then I might not worry about the snow and get the 420s????

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.

You don't want to listen to the experience of people using these tires for drag racing and you're going to choose your tires on how well they hook and how well they go in the snow?

LOL

pretty sure they dont make st's anymore..just st's2...i ran them for 2 years and now run 420's....imo there better all around..
Searching is great for old opinions, but that's history. The best way to get a current one, is to ask.

Searching is what got me to 305/50/20, and the 3 tires mentioned. But thru all of the old threads, the opinions on the 420s, STs,or STIIs were pretty close. So I'm looking for the most current opinion. Probably going with the STlls, cause it sounds like they're the only ones with decent track traction, that can handle snow too. But then I might not worry about the snow and get the 420s????

Terra Grapplers if u actually drive it seasonally or Toyo A/Ts.
Both actually have a higher dry traction rating then their sport truck tires listed in post #2.
I run terra grapplers and do pretty well on the strip. I will be running the 420s for next season though.

So let me get this straight.

You don't want to listen to the experience of people using these tires for drag racing and you're going to choose your tires on how well they hook and how well they go in the snow?

LOL

If everybody had the same opinion, I would probably get that tire. But if your were to spend the time searching that I have, you would see that not everybody agrees. Some posters even like one tire in one thread, and like a different tire in a different thread. Generally, most people say that the 420s have the best traction, but I don't see the numbers to support that yet. Some are referring to 1.7 and 1.8 60' times, but considering that I'm faster than that with my 6 year old, rock hard, LTXs, those numbers don't help me.

At this point, the 420s are ahead, but only by a few hundreths, so I'd call that almost even. When things are even, you need to consider other aspects of the tire. And considering that this is my farm truck, and in between breakages, it hauls straw, hay, lumber and etc, it needs to work on the street as well as the track. Since this is a racing forum, I'm only looking for racing related input here. But I'll combine that with input from other message boards to decide on the best tire for me. For some you maybe it's worth gaining .05 sec to give up a little snow traction, but it my case it may not. You got to remember, this thread is about street tires, not drag radials.

If everybody had the same opinion, I would probably get that tire. But if your were to spend the time searching that I have, you would see that not everybody agrees. Some posters even like one tire in one thread, and like a different tire in a different thread. Generally, most people say that the 420s have the best traction, but I don't see the numbers to support that yet. Some are referring to 1.7 and 1.8 60' times, but considering that I'm faster than that with my 6 year old, rock hard, LTXs, those numbers don't help me.

At this point, the 420s are ahead, but only by a few hundreths, so I'd call that almost even. When things are even, you need to consider other aspects of the tire. And considering that this is my farm truck, and in between breakages, it hauls straw, hay, lumber and etc, it needs to work on the street as well as the track. Since this is a racing forum, I'm only looking for racing related input here. But I'll combine that with input from other message boards to decide on the best tire for me. For some you maybe it's worth gaining .05 sec to give up a little snow traction, but it my case it may not. You got to remember, this thread is about street tires, not drag radials.

there alot of factors that play into 60 ft times not just tires. i run 420s my best 60 ft is a 2.1 but im 2wd

Terra Grapplers if u actually drive it seasonally or Toyo A/Ts.
Both actually have a higher dry traction rating then their sport truck tires listed in post #2.
I run terra grapplers and do pretty well on the strip. I will be running the 420s for next season though.

I have terra grapplers, in a 285/70/17 for a winter tire... Zero traction and a death trap in comparison to the 420s

Dont't really mess with unicorns, but this was at the top of the list from a search a couple of minutes ago, others were listed too. Toyo list them as a current tire in certain sizes on their web page.

Toyo Proxes ST Tires

I saw the google search last night and kept looking at the toyo site but noone seems to actually carry them from what ive seen.

Unicorn

I have had all three
IMO this is the order in traction levels
Nitto 420's (good in the water never had in snow have the best wear of the three, quiet on the street)
Toyo proxies st (best in the water terrible in snow good on the street, but the loudest)
Toyo proxies st2(an all around tire that hooks better than most but sacrifices a little bit of everything, also quiet on the street)

There are also kumho escticas (sp) there are others but can't think of them now. A 20x10 rim will get you the best tire options for these trucks in the size needed 30-33 inches.

Last edited:
Back