To intercool or to not?

SSSDiesel

Sparkplug
Okay guys, on my drag truck I'm wondering if I should get rid of the intercooler? What are some of the pro's and con's? this is a dedicated race truck. I just worry about a turbo coming apart and dusting my engine. here are some of the stats. 95 12 valve, full billet trans, 13mm Piers pump, silver 66. and a single stage of :nos: best Quarter mile 11.9

This is the video of me winning the Quick Diesel class at the utah dhra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqHHXUBon8

Okay guys, on my drag truck I'm wondering if I should get rid of the intercooler? What are some of the pro's and con's? this is a dedicated race truck. I just worry about a turbo coming apart and dusting my engine. here are some of the stats. 95 12 valve, full billet trans, 13mm Piers pump, silver 66. and a single stage of :nos: best Quarter mile 11.9

This is the video of me winning the Quick Diesel class at the utah dhra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqHHXUBon8

Yes, keep it. Intercooling has many benifits, even in the 1/4 mile.

Then why does so many of the dedicated race trucks get rid of there intercoolers? or does nobody know?

Let me start by saying I'm not an expert. I have been around quite a few high horsepower trucks and dedicated drag trucks. From what I have seen and learned, you can get away from an intercooler for a dedicated truck.

If you use your spray for power and cooling, then you can get away from intercooler. Just remember, if the spray isn't on, your not cooling your charge temp. That means higher intake temperatures and higher EGT's.

Basically, if you are willing to add additional stages of :nos:, then you don't need to add an intercooler. I'm not saying bigger stages. But you may need to add a small stage to help cooler the charge temp before you are ready to hit a larger stage. I believe everyone except John Robinson doesn’t use an intercooler. Heck, even most of the MOD sled pullers don’t use an intercooler.

Then why does so many of the dedicated race trucks get rid of there intercoolers? or does nobody know?

Intercoolers are designed to cool the intake air charge temperature. That helps create more power and, also, lower EGT's. Spraying the truck, either with a large amount of high pressure water or nitrous, will give you the same thing.

Remember, diesel's didn't start out with intercooler, they were added after.

For Drag Racing, I would say that the difference is not worth discussing. I don't know of anyone that has actually tested with and without.

From what I know, you are talking about such a small difference that, that shouldn't play a factor in your decision. You can always add an intercooler after.

intercoolers add horse power, and without one the cylinder temps can get out of control quick even with NOS because it burns more of the fuel so you should moniter them with a corsa system or something equivalent and be prepaired to add H2O

Really, the question is simply one of which method of charge air cooling is best for a specific vehicle.

Air/air & liquid/air ICs, NO2 and water/(meth) are just different paths to the same goal.