To O-ring Or Fire Ring?

DEEZELRAM114

SMOKIN' RAM!!
I have access to do either one to my 24v head. I would like to run a .20 over gasket to drop compression, but I can not find any info on fire ringing a .20 over gasket and the kits I see from scheids are std head gasket. the turbo that is going on is a reworked 2.8 s400. so im unsure where boost levels are going to be. The head is fully ported with a machined off intake. thanks.:charger:

Depends on how much you drive the truck which way to go.

O-Rings are what I would reccomend for the daily driver as they not only handle boost well when installed and torqued correctly but they do not fail with numerous heat cycles.

Fire rings are better suited for all out competition trucks that see limited heat cycles.It seems that they will fail when used in the daily driver truck as they do not stand up to daily rigors of multiple heat cycles.I have a few guys in my club who at one time were fire ringed and after multiple changes at around 30k of their rings they both went back to o-rings.......Andy

I never heard that before Andy, thanks for the info. I have O-rings in my 24v, they have been in for roughly 25k miles with a .020" over gasket and ARP studs. My B1 and silver bullet both pushed almost 60psi, and now I run 27* of timing with the p-pump and an S400 turbo making over 50psi and it still seems to be holding. Just make sure if you do the O-rings to have a shop with plenty of experience do them, the groove needs to be the right depth and the wire thickness needs to be properly sized or they will fail.

I would run oring in a daily driver. Fire rings in competition vehicle.

I run o-rings in my tow rig and my race truck that pushes 82 psi.

i would run orings if ihad to do it again. my current set of fire rings is holding fine (knock on wood) i did have 1 set fail with 12mm studs. next set with 14mm's is holding fine what used to be daily driven, tow rig and plow truck with 60k on the rings.

I have 30K on my current fire rings no issues. I did do a retorque last summer though. I think they have been in for 5 or 6 years.