Too many Twin Turbo combos to choose from....

Cumminspr513

I have an '03 2500 and it time to get more air into the equation. I have enought fuel and i think that the stock turbo has seen better days. Im looking for some input as to what a good twin combo would be for me to run on my truck. I wouls like to go with eather a K31 or S480 on bottom but not sure what would fit for the top.
The truck currently has intake and 5'' MBRP exhaust, FASS150, DDP120 nozzles, Wicked CP3, Snow stage 3, Smarty programmer, TS MP-8 box, Full built DTT trans(thanks Scott).

X2. There is alot of room in between a K31 and an s480. Getting in contact with Nathan would be a good idea.

What power you think about running at? I've liked using GT3782R or GT3788R, they will spool-up pretty fast. The S475 spools pretty decent and is priced right. The K-31 is has a tighter turbine disk and housing than S480. The S480 has a slightly bigger compressor inducer. You tow heavy? Or just a fun truck.

X2. There is alot of room in between a K31 and an s480. Getting in contact with Nathan would be a good idea.

are you looking for towing twins, drag twins, street racing twins?

What power you think about running at? I've liked using GT3782R or GT3788R, they will spool-up pretty fast. The S475 spools pretty decent and is priced right. The K-31 is has a tighter turbine disk and housing than S480. The S480 has a slightly bigger compressor inducer. You tow heavy? Or just a fun truck.

I agree with all of these.

There is a big difference between a k31 and an s480. Especially when you start talking about options like race covers.

Start by deciding what you reasonably expect to do with the truck, and how much power you want to make with it. The important thing is to be realistic and understand the trade-offs.

Knowing that you can choose a primary to support your needs. Then you can select a secondary to match.

s300 and s400 turbo are the most popular for a good reasons (availability, upgrade-ability, durability, cost, and experience being a few) but other turbo manufacturers have some really good products if you do your homework.

Generally:
  • a 57-60mm secondary and 71mmish primary make for a great set of turbos and are great for a comfortable ~600hp
  • 62mm over 75mm makes for a very usable ~700hp that can tow or daily drive without issues
  • 64mm(s364) over 80mm(s480) makes for a great high-power competition minded setup that can easily be street driven but towing is not as fun
  • s366 over something in the 88-low90mm range makes for a high-power track setup
  • Once you start using s465s, k31s, or GT42s or larger as secondaries coupled with 100+mm primaries you are looking for record book power

For what you have I would start by looking at something in the s362 over s475 range and go from there.

Thats just my $.02 at least. You can obviously push a set harder or daily drive something ridiculous if you really want to
:Cheer:

I would have to say that im looking to shoot for something around 700hp and still be able to do some towing. I mean after all what is the meaning of haveing a 3/4 ton truck if i cant tow with it sometimes. Are there any recomendations for 62mm over 75mm?, that is looking to be the way i want to head.

How much weight does some towing include? That sounds like a good setup, now you just have to spec the particulars of those turbos.

In a holding pattern in the process of debating keepin the CR or swapping for a p-pump 24v in its place for more fuel.

I would have to say that im looking to shoot for something around 700hp and still be able to do some towing. I mean after all what is the meaning of haveing a 3/4 ton truck if i cant tow with it sometimes. Are there any recomendations for 62mm over 75mm?, that is looking to be the way i want to head.

Pretty much all the big companies making twins can do that combo for you , MPI, Wicked, Source Automotive, and I'm sure there's quite a few more. All three of these guys I referenced above are very reputable here on the forums.

Call Rip and Source Automotive. Great service and the fit and finish of his twin kit is second to none.

Joe

OK ill look into it, going to look around to see what different companies offer for $$$ and quality.

62/71/13 and 475/96/1.32 $.02

Garrett Coumpounds???????

Tom at TURBO RESOURCE:cheer: is thinking of make a Garrett twin kit!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer:

The GT3788R makes a very forgiving turbo for use as a secondary. It will spool-up pretty fast. I run a GT3788R over a S475/1.31. I start building boost around 1500 rpm. Tons of room for more fuel. I would think you'll have air for 700-800rwhp. If you throw another ball bearing turbo under a ball bearing turbo like a GT4202R or GT4508R, man that would one wicked set-up, but darn pricey. I have $3k into my set-up, I really don't need more turbo, just more fuel:rockwoot:. I would rather build my own set-up so I get what I want. Nothing wrong with anybody twins set-up, just pick.

I had a set of Nathans mpi twins 62 over 480 and it was awesome. Seen a couple of set of rips source twins that are top notch as well.

Back