Tools for pump removal

fearthedeere6.7

Ive got to put a billet tappet cover on my truck this weekend work is getting p/oed bout the oil spots on their parking lot. Im pretty sure i have all the tools i need but my garage is full and have to do it either at my uncles or brothers house. Neither have many tools at their disposial. I just need a quick list so i can put together a set so i dont have to run back and forth.

well... for the 4 pump bolts i would highly suggest a 3/8 swivel joint, not a u-joint type, the swivel that have a ball and socket, that cut my pump removal time by a good half hour. And those are 14mm or 15mm i think. just take a full set of deep well, normal short sockets, SAE, and metric size sockets. Full set of metric and SAE wrenches. pretty much your regular toolset. The only special tools i can think of that i use to remove a pump is one of my home made pump gear pullers and a engine barring tool.

good luck

almost forgot, make sure you have a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 big 3/4 drive socket. Also a torque wrench with an adapter from 1/2 to 3/4 for the big socket

You will need:

Gear puller
Timing kit
15mm shallow 3/8 socket
3/8 universal joint
2 6" 3/8 ext
3/8 10mm socket
1/4" 8mm socket
19mm wrench
30mm 1/2 socket
1/2" Torque wrench
1/4" 6" ratchet
Regular screwdriver
15mm open end wrench
80 grit sand paper
Brake clean
Hand cleaner

I usually do not have an issue using a ujoint type swivel on the pump. I connect enough extentions to bring the ratchet over the oil feed line on the top nut and under it on the bottom. The ratchet will be at the afc housing.

As far as timing it you can pin it or we usually pull the pin and stick a finger in the hole. Are you using a baring tool or going to turn the engine over by hand using the balancer?

If you have questions on how I remove pumps and time p7100s, feel free to call. 682-365-9629.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I've taken them off before just wanted to.make sure I had everything. I do have one question can.I.set the pump timing with it off.the truck then just pin the motor at tdc and put it back on?

If you are changing where the timing pin mounts on the shaft, then yes. If not, then when you pin the pump, it wills till be at the factory setting (~11-13 degrees). After you loosen the pump nut, but before you pop the gear off, pin the pump. After you pop the gear, you can roll the engine back a couple degrees for a timing advance relative to where it was. You could pin the engine and then roll it back a couple degrees, that would give you a better idea of where your timing would be if you're unsure of your starting point. Or just use a timing kit.

That's fine I didn't know if I could roll the pump to the correct plunger lift off the truck then just put it back on I don't mind doing it the regular way I just figured if I could do this it'd save a bit of time.

You can turn the pump all you like on the bench. But if you don't pin it, don't be surprised if it jumps. I've had pumps that like to spring back to 3mm of lift no matter how gently you pop the gear off. Rattling the pump around to get it back into the truck would probably do the same thing.

Back