Torque Converter Barely Locking

motormayhem

Hi All,
My transmission was working fine until last night when it appears the torque converter lockup abruptly started not working. Overall the transmission is acting/shifting normally otherwise. When I pulled onto the highway last night I noticed when I hit 50 the TC did not lock like it usually did. At first I thought it was not locking or trying at all, but looking at it more closely it appears it may be dropping RPM~100rpm at the speed the TC usually locks vs the normal 500-600rpm. With that I think the solenoid is firing, but its slipping or barely engaging.

My plan is to drop the pan this weekend and ohm the solenoid and inspect the pan area. Is there a way I can pressure check the TC apply circuit or a pressure test port to see what the apply pressure is going to the torque converter clutch? Any other ideas on what to check? It seems surprising it would be working fine and then all of a sudden stop working if its a hydraulic problem. I'd like to determine if its a TC or transmission problem when the pan is off.

One more question. Could a broken boost valve explain this? I'll check it when the pan is off. I noticed a few years ago when I had the VB out the retainer for the boost valve was broken on one side and about to let go. I replaced it with the one below to hopefully avoid this issue in the future so I'd be surprised if the new one is broken. Do these updated retainers have problems too?

A518 46RE A618 47RE Transmission TCC Boost valve clip | eBay

First thing is verify the easy stuff, make sure you're getting 12v accross the solenoid when it wants to lock. Does this transmission have a triple disc converter in it?