Torque converter cooler rupture...again

Adamv7010

Got an 03.5 3500 drw auto 100% stock. Truck has 425k miles, motor has around 35k trans has around 75k on it, both replaced at different times with remans from Cummins.

Had a converter cooler rupture and fill the trans with water. Replaced the cooler, flushed the trans good, got all the contaminated fluid out, flushed the entire cooling system, and took it for a drive.

Everything did awesome. Made a couple 1000 mile roundtrip trips loaded at 15k with no issues whatsoever.

Now, the new Cummins cooler has ruptured again thus mixing atf & h2o again. This time it quit pulling itself.

My question right now, why did this new cooler rupture? Is there a check somewhere in the coolant passage? What am I missing here?

If there is a check, I think it wouldve failed due to lack of coolant flow a lot sooner than it failed.

Last edited:
yes, on the top right of the trans cooler there is an internal bypass valve. they are known for clogging up.

i assume you dont have a trans temp gauge.??????

yes, on the top right of the trans cooler there is an internal bypass valve. they are known for clogging up.

No. The owner does not have a permanent tft gauge aside of the dummy dash gauge.

I however monitored for approx 200 miles before I turned it back over to him, and never saw above 140-160* unloaded.

What really makes no sense to me, I'm sure whatever triggered the first failure triggered this one, but why would it make a 1k-2k mile round trips loaded fairly heavy and give no issues at all.

Back