Torque Plate for 24 valve

studebaker

Greetings all--
Lot of good info on this site!
I have owned a 12 valve for several years and it served my needs well. My brother purchased a 2004.5 3500 with engine out and needing #6 sleeved. After reading a lot of info about boring-honing using a torque plate I called every shop in my local and none use's a torque plate to do the honing on the 5.9 cummins. It was like I was talking with Martians. I have access to a used 24 valve head and would like to use it to make a torque plate. I am checking into having a company waterjet cut the bores. Anyone here built one to use?
located in north Florida---

Greetings all--
Lot of good info on this site!
I have owned a 12 valve for several years and it served my needs well. My brother purchased a 2004.5 3500 with engine out and needing #6 sleeved. After reading a lot of info about boring-honing using a torque plate I called every shop in my local and none use's a torque plate to do the honing on the 5.9 cummins. It was like I was talking with Martians. I have access to a used 24 valve head and would like to use it to make a torque plate. I am checking into having a company waterjet cut the bores. Anyone here built one to use?
located in north Florida---

hey contact these guys they have them but they are not cheap.Downloadable Price Sheets: BHJ Products, +1 (510)797-6780 they run about $1,200 bucks but there quality is amazing.

FWIW While everyone on here stressed about using a torque plate I was told by a very experienced 12v engine builder that it isn't really necessary, especially if it's just a DD without a ton of HP.

I know a very successful SBC engine builder/dirt track racer that's never used a torque plate on any of his engines. Look at how close the bolt holes are to the cylinder bores on a SBC then look at any B-series cummins block...I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Anyone actually measure to see what the distortion is with the head on and off? 0.0001" can make that snap gauge fall out, but really isn't that big of a variance in the scheme of things.

That video is very disturbing!
I wonder if I purchased the torque plate, if after using to hone this block if I could do a rental to others and get most of my money back out of it? enough interest out there?

Last edited:
just use a dingle ball hone.........it will get in all the areas the flat stone wont

Last edited:
I just did this with the tq plate and the girdle at 150# It took .002 to clean up the taper the wear and the out of round from the bolts.I now have .008 total piston to wall clearance.
DSC00002g.jpg