Torque Shift tranny question

bonecrusher

Lineman
I have a question to ask. Last weekend, the battery light started to flash on my wifes X. I instructed her to take it to O'Rielly's to have it checked out. They told her the alternator had a bad diode and she bought a new alternator. She proceeded to drive home (45 miles). She made it to the driveway under what juice the batteries had left. I jump started the X and pulled it into the driveway. After swapping out the alternator and charging the batteries, the tranny would not shift into gear. I let the engine warm some then with a little acceleration, the tranny went into gear. The shifts were rough and with a short drive, the tow/haul light flashed.
I trailered the X to the dealer yesterday. Today they called and told us we need a new tranny! $4000.00 !
I call BULL$hit! I don't see how a transmission that worked fine and dandy, now is crap after a complete electrical drain. I drove the X back to sons house (12 miles). The tranny shifted okay, but I didn't dog it either. The tow/haul light flashed after it got warm.
After paying the $79.95 fee, the service writer would only tell us that it threw 15+ codes and by looking at "debri" in pan, the "planatary forward" is out. I didn't look to see if pan has been removed. My son is gonna check for me when he gets off work.
Anyway, do I smell B.S. or does this sound like I need a new transmission ?

Okay, son just called. All bolts on pan, tranny, and the drain plug are still dirty and grimey! Carpet on topside in cab has not been pulled back, so they never look in topside either (if that is possible). They never looked for "debri"! UNLESS, they can see down the dipstick!
Any help? Thanks, Gerald

Try resettin the pcm. Disconnect both batteries and short the pos and neg cables from the main battery. After reconnecting both batteries start the truck and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes.

I'll try that next. X is 45 miles away at sons house. Why couldn't dealer do this, or at least have told me they tried that ? I'm starting to feel like they were/are trying to get to me. Sad if that turns out to be the case!

The metal you see on the magnet is normal wear. If the vehicle loses enough electrical power it will shut off power to the transmission and you will have Manual 5th only. While the vehicle was driving and losing power to the other solenoids it was probably testing them. Once it deems it not to be working. It doesn't try them again until the next power up and functionality is tried again.

Clear the codes. Give it the power it needs to shift. See what happens.

Back