Torque specs/break-in for new cam

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
What is the torque spec for the retainer for the bolt on cam gear? Lock-tite- yay or nay?

is there a torque spec on the cam retainer clip?

lastly whats the break-in procedure for the colt/hamilton cams. I got no paper work at all with my cam.

If it drop shipped from Geoff at colt cams, the paperwork might have been left out. The cams retainer bolts get 28lbs and red loctite. On the gear retainer torque is 44ft lbs. with red loc-tite. Use lubriplate 105 or equivelant for installation(liberally apply) I also like to use a bottle of GM EOS, ZDDP+, or NitroLube. Start up, idle for about a minute. Rev engine to 1500 rpm for 2-3 minutes. Shut engine off, adjust valves. Drive for 50 miles, adjust valves. .010 intake, .020" exhaust, .015 on the exhaust if used for competition. Next, get into clear area, hold engine on rev-limiter, release clutch, enjoy the extra airflow!

Zach Hamilton

Last edited:
By the way nice hat!
Did you get the springs and retainers to work with those chevy valves? That is almost the same setup I am running.

Zach

By the way nice hat!
Did you get the springs and retainers to work with those chevy valves? That is almost the same setup I am running.

Zach

Thanks!! LOL

I got your springs to work..i had some miss calculations...first time dealing with spring pressures LOL

what about break-in for an engine that is not a street application?

ive heard of 20 minutes at X rpm etc...what would be the best in that situation.