Torque wrench questions for the professional mechs here...

rockytopcummins

I am curious about what brands are best to get. I'm not a "professional mechanic" but I don't want to buy a cheap inaccurate POS either. I guess I just want to know what you all have used and what works best for you.

Question #2... I had this discussion with someone the other day about extensions. I imagine they WOULD change the torque, but the question is, would it change it enough to really make a big difference? Are the differences magnified the longer the extension? Any advice you fellas can give is appreciated.

I just up the torque by a bump or two when using extensions LOL

Buy a damn good torque wrench if you plan to wrench here and there your whole life. I own a snap on 1/2", 3/8" and inch pound 1/4" drive but I would start with a good 1/2" drive one.

Some say you're supposed to have them recalibrated every now and then but I don't know the truth to that. I have never calibrated any of mine and havent had any issues but who knows.

I have used snap on for a long time. Once in a while would take it on the truck and use the gauge to see how close it was. They all only go for so long before they should be sent off and recalibrated..
For extensions I bump up the dial a couple. If you ever watch an extension when you're using it, you'll watch it twist a little.

Last edited:
1. Buy the best that you can afford. I have a Matco that seems to be good. I personally do not like the new vibrating beeping electronic Snap-on torque wrenches.

2. Yes, it will change the torque. The longer the extension the more it changes. Most of the time a short 3" extenstion, 1/2-3/8 adaptor, or the like I just a couple a extra pounds on the setting. Im sure theres a chart or formula to figure out exact numbers.

I have the Snap On digital 1/2" and I love it. No issue so far and extremely easy to use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I own Snap-On and CDI. Like said before, buy the best you can. CDI is an absolute great value for quality to dollar, Snap-On is obviously top teir but you pay for it so the ratio of quality to dollar is inflated on the dollar side fairly significantly.

Google the formula for using extensions. It's something along the lines of 1" of extension=1 ft/lb, or something to that effect. My torque wrenches have it laser etched/engraved in them, so I never have to remember it.

Also, calibration HAS to happen in a clicker style torque wrench as the springs weaker. Once a year is the general rule regardless of use. When storing a clicker style back it all the way off, Snap-On says to keep a few clicks tension on it, but it's arguable as to why...

I used a Snap On digital wrench and within 1 week I replaced every analog wrench I owned. The new TECHANGLE from Snap On are worth their weight in gold for TTY bolts. And you will only see more and more of the TTY fasteners as they make assembly cheaper. Buy once, cry once when it comes to tools.

I love my new Snap-On techangle torque wrenches. The cycle count and torque recall are pretty sweet.

Sigh that's the biggest myth in wrenching I know extendions do not change tourqe. They will twist some yes but in the end the tourqe will be the same.

^^^yes

there is a procedure here at work that requires torquing a fastener with a crows foot. This will change the torque spec. We have a chart we use on this that one of our engineers came up with.

Of my 3 daily used torque wreches, checked every 6 months as required by CAT, i have only had two calibrations in 6 years, and those were on separate wrenches.

Monkey Fist Rage

An extension will NOT change the torque reading.

IDK why people think it does, every action has a opposite but equal reaction. The fastener gets the same torque.

Forrest wrote a nice post about torque wrenches one time. Basically if I remember right Harbor Freight torque wrenches are pretty good for the money, most others except the Snap-On/CDI are junk, don't ever relax the spring all the way (big myth about always relaxing it), and warm the torque wrench up several times before using it for the final value.

Maybe he will chime in and let me know if that info is correct.

Tobin

I have used all of the major brands including the expensive snap on and matco torque wrenches. They do not have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_337334-22328-85602_0__?productId=3381202&Ntt=torque+wrench&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtorque%2Bwrench&facetInfo=

This kobalt 1/2 drive is what I use now. It has a lifetime warranty and has 50 to 250 ft lb adjustment. Many of the new torque wrenches have a smaller range than that. Best part of it.... 59.00 bucks from lowes. If it breaks or yours suspect of its calibration, then just take it back to the store for a new one. I have several of them that I keep on my service truck and one for the shop and I use a piece of pipe slid over the handle to make it easier to pull sometimes and they all have been holding up fine for several years of abuse used several times a month.

Jay

I appreciate everyone's advice. I will end up getting one off of a tool truck but Snap On is a bit rich for my blood. Thanks for clarifying on the extension question too.

Extensions will twist, but at some point they'll stay "solid." Allowing the same transfer of torque to the bolt head. For an extension to actually "absorb" torque, it would have to continually twist, which of course isnt possible without breaking.

Sigh that's the biggest myth in wrenching I know extendions do not change tourqe. They will twist some yes but in the end the tourqe will be the same.

I think people confuse it with when using an extension on an impact. You will lose torque when using an impact due to the wind up of it and it springing back between beats. Unless you're yanking on a torque wrench quickly, no extension or 36" extension, torque will be the same.