Towing help

RayL

I have a 99 2500 w/auto transmission. I tow a race car and haul all related equipment with this truck. Im looking for either a programmmer or some insight on some mild mods i could do for a lil more pulling power. Im just not up on which programmers work and which dont. I also want to try to keep from tearing stuff up also. What you guys recommend??

Thanks
Ray

p.s. truck has 297k miles if that matters.

First off get some gauges if you do not already have them.
A fuel pressure gauge is a must and a pyro and transmission temp gauge as well since you are towing. A boost gauge would be nice but not as important as the others. I assume your truck is stock so I would say a cold air kit of some kind (AFE Megga Cannon or something similar) a 4 inch exhaust is a big help as well. After that you could add a box like a Edge Comp or Edge EZ, TST or one of many others (there is a lot out there to choose from and everyone likes there own brand) a small set of injectors would help as well and maybe upgrade your turbo to a HX40 or something similar (again there is a LOT to choose from and everyone likes there own brand) Your transmission will not like you very much at this point (with a box turbo and injectors) so some upgrades of it will be in order at this point. Your transmission will do fine with a cold air, exhaust and an Edge EZ box and you will see a noticable increase in power :rockwoot: you do need gauges if you dont have them already I would get them first $.02

Along with what Hoss suggested I would look into some trans improvements, making power is fine but transferring it to the ground is even better....

Yip. I would do an air box and then open the exhaust up so it can breath in and out better. Then gauges, EGT is the most important one to me, boost and Fuel PSI are optional if your budget allows. Then you'll get into electronics. Without the first mods, the electronics will just make a butt load of heat, especially loaded.

Give us a budget and we can tell you what your best bang for your buck will be, or at least try to. You want to spend $1000 or $3000?

Gauges, intake, exhaust, tranny upgrades and a mild box. In that order, the guages to get a baseline on stock performance, I would get EGT, Fuel Pressure and tranny temp. Intake and exhaust to free the motor's breathing up. Tranny mods would be a Converter and Valve Body, if you have almost 300K on the stock tranny it will be getting weak by now and any power upgrade you make is going to shorten it's life, head that off with some good aftermarket parts now, and when it finally takes a full dump you will already have them. Box last, as Hoss said everybody has their favorite.

Now one more question, how bad do you want to beat your Ford driving buddies to the track...with you pulling a car.....and them empty :evil :evil

A Edge Juice with attitude is your best choice if you don't have a upgraded tranny [clutch or torque converter]. You will have protection against transmission slip, fuel pressure, egt, boost & my favorite...the engine cooldown timer to help save your turbo. Just my $.02

So cold air intake and exhaust AFTER the gauges. Gotcha. Heres a dumb question. What good would gauges do me if i dont really know what im looking for heh. Say im going down the road and the EGT gauge goes to ??? how would you correct that..just stop?? Also, on the transmission, is the converter the major weak link?? On the exhaust, Would a straight pipe be the best way to go?

Max sustained EGT reading on the stock turbo is 1250* measured pre turbo. Max boost with everything stock is right around 20psi. With aftermarket intake and exhaust, and a box of some type you might or might not be able to overtemp the turbo (say on a long steep grade) so that's why the gauges. Same with the tranny, if you can keep the fluid temps around 180ish (I think!! I row my own for a reason LOL ) you are golden, start getting to high and you can have problems.

The converter is one major weak link, any increase in power puts extra strain on it that will cause it to have problems. You will want to upgrade the VB as well to increase line pressure and firm the shifts up, this really helps the stock clutches survive.

Ask all the questions you can think off, we'll be glad to answer them.

BTW, a 5" straight pipe sounds really good and isn't too bad inside the cab with a load, the 4" systems sound good as well, but I like my 5" :evil JUst keep your muffler for whatever system you get, the noise can get old on a long trip.

Last edited:
Anyone make a good bolt on exhaust system? How much $$$ we talkin. What valve body and converter are recommended? Keep in mind im not trying to make 500hp just some extra umph would be nice so i dont have to keep it matted goin up the high rises.

RayL said:
Anyone make a good bolt on exhaust system? How much $$$ we talkin. What valve body and converter are recommended? Keep in mind im not trying to make 500hp just some extra umph would be nice so i dont have to keep it matted goin up the high rises.
I bought a Summit racing 4" exhaust for $299....sounds great & hasn't rusted after 4 years.

Give Mark Craig with DPPI a ring, or TS performance, or any of the site vendors and they can hook you up.

On the Converter, any good single disk will do you just fine, I would strongly suggest a Suncoast VB though, it says something when competing tranny shops use their products.