Towing with the 6 speed auto

relay93

I have been looking at used trucks and have found some good deals even with autos. I really like the manuals for pulling. So for those of you that have gone from a manual to the new 6 speed autos do you have any regrets especially when towing.

I pull a 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer and a 5th wheel with a dry weight of almost 10k (Excel 28RT).

Thanks.

I don't own it, but I have ridden with a friend that has the 6.7L and 6 speed auto while we were pulling a moderate small flatbed trailer with a couple of ATV's on it up into OK and I have to say that the exhaust brake coupled with the option to either set it in auto shift with Tow/ Haul OR manually downshift made the brakes almost unnecessary and I am certain that with a heavier load (up to a certain point of course) the 6 speed would be great for holding the gears and getting the RPM's in just the spot you want. I would say that IF I ever buy another new one it will have the 6 speed auto with manual shift buttons for sure over another clutch. It's like the best of both worlds in MOST cases. HEAVY towing and I still would prefer my manual, but I think that would be over 20K gross only.

Ive wondered the same about the new 68 Ive heard its weak but I dont have any experience with one. Ive been looking into the 6.7

b&g chrysler offers a custom tund tcm for the 68re, works wonders for the tranny, raised shift points, 3rd gear lockup, and increased line pressure, if you easy with your programmer...under 90 hp....it should make the tranny last the life of the truck.... i run mine regularly, 13.2 at 104, smarty on 6 torgue managment on 4, and have no issues what so ever , currently at 25000 miles. and it regularly chirps the 2-3 shift sometims 3-4

its aperformance shop in michigan, just google b&g chrysler, youll be impressed

I've got almost 60k on mine now. Lot of heavy (30K+) towing and probably 100hrs of plowing and I havn't had a single problem with it. Got about 20 sub 14sec passes and around 15 hooks also. Most of those were running the Smarty SW9 all out.

my Dad has a stock 08 with the 6 spd. auto, I recently borrowed it to haul another members truck... probably about a 10 or 11k load, and the trailer was a bumper pull. I never let it get into 6th, and used the manual shift to shift both up and down. I was very impressed, especially after my towing experiences with a stock first gen auto. Almost never had to use the service brakes... that exhaust brake is awesome! Those first 3 gears really help to get things moving without having to drag them out to 2,800 rpms or so like a 4 spd.

Ive heard the shafts are small in them and they dont make many parts for them yet. suncoast makes a VB and a TC but sounds like the stock TC is better then previous factory TC

I would agree to that statement... the same guy whose truck I hauled, HIS dad also has a 6.7 auto. its got a pretty heavy flatbed on it too. we put an XRT, deletes and intake on it... the trans didnt last very long with the bigger tune on it, especially after the burnout at Buda 09 :bang

but with a Suncoast converter and an extreme duty rebuild kit from Allstar Transmission in Marble Falls, its still holding the 60 horse tune like a champ, and the 120 when we get to drive it...

I've got almost 60k on mine now. Lot of heavy (30K+) towing and probably 100hrs of plowing and I havn't had a single problem with it. Got about 20 sub 14sec passes and around 15 hooks also. Most of those were running the Smarty SW9 all out.

Man I hope your right! I talked a friend into getting the auto. His 5th wheel is 21k loaded (34' tandem dual). We'll see how she holds up.

Towing with the 6 speed auto

Guys,

I love my 6.7 with the auto.
See attached photo.
I'm currently involved in R&D for Dave. I will be testing the B&G TCM & soon after a Dave converter, I hope.
Stay tuned for updates.

WAYNES WORLD

Attachments

• PANA0004.JPG
    PANA0004.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 20
i dont own one, but just my 2 cents they had to come up with something good chevy has the allison, also sounds like ford got a good thing going with there trannys so dodge had to get something right. the new ones sure out does the old ones

Ford has something. But I've never been impressed with any of the Allison equipped trucks that i've driven.