TQ convertor stall speed VS Turbo wheel size

HeavyAssault

Pursuit Interceptor
Can I run a 1600 stall TQ convertor with a Hybrid VGT using a 62/86 compressor wheel? Is this taken care of with the SCT tuning?

VGT's are told (demanded) when to spool they don't require the same exhaust flow (call it drive pressure, call it volume, call it heat, whatever you want). The Vanes are changed to achieve the required/desired results. A 67mm may require a higher stall but the 62 will work just fine.

Hey Brian,

Do you already have the turbo or the torque converter? If you are still looking for towing, a higher stall will allow you to spool up a little better, which will make hills easer with a load. But I don't think you will notice much if any difference with a VGT turbo.

If you are still interested in a non-VGT, there will be a difference between a 1600 and an 1800. We offer a few different setups that can work pretty.

If you are still in the market for a turbo, pm me your number and a good time to call you. I would love the opportunity to help you out.

I have the turbo I just want to plan the tranny upgrades as I find new products for these trucks.

The 64mm we are putting together for you, will work with a stock stall or higher. I would not go above an 1800 with it, but anywhere in between will work just fine. The 1600 is actually a really good fit. If you wanted a higher stall, we would change the turbine housing and get rid of the wastegate.

A 65 VGT will work well with a 1600 stall. I don't have enough personal experience with them to really know how high you need it. One of our guys was running a 65 with the stock stall and it was fine.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend just the 65mm wheel. Make sure the other modifications are made to the turbo to handle the air and system.

65mm/88.....VGT what do you think...... compared to the 64mm you guys will do for me......I have 30 days to decide since thats about how long it will take to get the motor going again....

The combination we discussed should be a killer. The tight turbine housing with a big wastegate is a great combination. Offers lots of low end spool without having to worry about the top end backpressure. Being that you live in California, that should also, help to reduce the smoke when you drive around daily with larger injectors.

The stock VGT with a 65mm wheel is not a great option and In Our Opinions, not worth the money. A fully built and modified VGT with a 65mm wheel is a good turbo. I personally like and feel what we discussed is a better option which is one reason why we have opted not to build the modified VGT’s.

If you were opting for the non-wastegated turbo, then the VGT may be a better turbo for towing, but I don't think it will perform as well on the top end. Of’course, we are comparing our product to someone else’s. I would hope we feel ours is better :)

i hear what you are saying and I know that trusted is an up and coming force in the 6.0 arena. I hope you feel your product is better than others......PM what you think for a turbo set up and PM your price. I will include a before and after dyno sheet and video if I purchase. I will also allow you to test different sizes and modifications if you like. All work will be done by a professional local shop. Work me a deal and we can make this happen.....Look forward to it...

Also i can probably turn it into something else for you....a dealer in Califonia,,,,,Sacramento actually.....PM me you number....call you ASAP

Back