Traction Bar Questions..

Im getting ready to make a set of traction bars. Main questions are, am I going to hurt anything haveing both front and rear mounts welded solid to the frame/axle? What kind of matterial is best to use for the tubing? And on a 2nd gen, ex cab long bed. Looks like im going to need about 5ft of tubing on both sides to keep the same angle as my driveshaft, does that sound right? Might be 4 1/2 after you consider the length of the heim. Scarry part is going to be welding on the frame right next to my fuel tank on the driver side.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you don't like the idea of welding to the frame just makes the mounts so you con bolt them on.

Or drop the fuel tank, should be a non-issue. If you're going to make the long single tube style of bar 2.5x.25" DOM would be a minimum, IMO

Diesel has a flash point of ~143 degrees so it would be unlikely you'd ignite it even if an ignition source was present. PLEASE DON'T TEST IT I'M JUST GIVING YOU A QUICK FACT. That being said just put some kind of blanket over the tank and you'll be more than fine.

If you weld to the frame, weld small areas and wait till it cools till you weld on it again. I welded to mine and I just weld 1" at a time and bounced around. Weld a little, do more fab work, weld, fab,weld, fab. you get the idea. I have a quad cab long box and the heim joint are under the drivers door.
tractionbarpic020.jpg

tractionbarpic022.jpg

tractionbarpic023.jpg

I wanted to put the axle mounts right between the u-bolt bracket and the shock mount. The heim joints I was going to use were 2.63, so that makes the bracket a little over 3" with 1/4" material on both sides. Reason for wanting it there so it would be straight with the frame. Thinking about doing that, and relocating my shock mount. Not sure if I would just have to relocate the bottom bracket for the shock, or if that means I would have to relocated the top also. Think an angled shock would create a rough ride?

In all reality the shocks don't do a whole lot. I've drove these trucks with and without shocks and there isn't much difference.

haha I can beleive that. Someone told me traction bars will make for a rough ride... I said well cant get a whole lot worse than what it already is. I decided on moving my shock brackets over to make room for big enough brackets for the tractions bars. Im making a double axle bracket, and single frame. So i can make ladder bars later on down the road. But for right now cheap set of homemade single bars will do. Somethings better than nothing.