Trailer turn signals

vonEric

I,ve got an '04 2500 quad cab that has always had issues with trailer wiring. Boight it in 08 and the first brake controller I put in it wouldn't work right. Chalked it up to a bad controller and tossed it. Haven't towed much with it since but I do have a slide-in camper and the rt turn sig won't work. I have replaced the power module because of a junk set of aftermarket taillights and after that the truck has been fine. Trying to diagnose the camper's problem, so I bought a plug-in tester my Matco tool guy had. No power to the rt side turn signal in the 7 pin plug. Fuses all appear ok but not sure if this is fused seperately. Does anyone know if I can run a jumper wire from the turn signal down to the 7 pin and fix this easy? Don't really want to buy another power module because I didn't ask a question first. Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if I can run a jumper wire from the turn signal down to the 7 pin and fix this easy? Don't really want to buy another power module because I didn't ask a question first. Thanks for any help.
Yes, you can. Although it's just a "bandaid" to an existing problem, it will work.

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna try to get into this this afternoon.

I'm a schematic guy...call one of your diesel shops that you use or find one on here and ask them if they can print/view/email you the schematic of the trailer wires. Start at the source of power and work back. I'd encourage you to find the problem as opposed to rigger nig the wires just to make it work. You'll over load the existing wiring if you start tapping in some cases. Good luck.

Check for power at the plug on the front side of the 7 way socket. I've seen the sockets corrode internally.

Last edited:
If you have a short in your camper, the Tipm will disable the output for that circurt and will set a dtc. If you clear that dtc they will start to work again. But be careful because you can only clear it 5 times, then you will have to replace the tipm.

If you have a short in your camper, the Tipm will disable the output for that circurt and will set a dtc. If you clear that dtc they will start to work again. But be careful because you can only clear it 5 times, then you will have to replace the tipm.

Interesting....and stupid on the 5 time limit.

I'm a schematic guy...call one of your diesel shops that you use or find one on here and ask them if they can print/view/email you the schematic of the trailer wires. Start at the source of power and work back. I'd encourage you to find the problem as opposed to rigger nig the wires just to make it work. You'll over load the existing wiring if you start tapping in some cases. Good luck.

Schematics are great. Jory helped me with a similar issue. Bought the truck used. Had a flatbed put on it by the previous owner. Brake and Turn lights wouldn't work on a trailer. Trailer lights were known good and working. Tracked it down to a Turn Signal Switch issue. Of course, my truck was a '99 model.

My dad's got an 03 and had the same problem. Ended up being a recall of some sort. Fuses were fine, and wiring was all perfect, but the signal light would not work. Call Dodge and ask them about it.