Tranny experts

Tnspark82

Ok guys. I have a 01 rclb with 4:10's. The tranny has slipped when loaded very heavy. I believe that my hire hands let the truck idle in park ( after I good them not to) and got the tranny to hot. It will still drive but we parked it. So now it's finally my turn at my buddies mechanics shop to get it built. So as far as hp we will be keeping a stock motor with a edge comp box. Box will stay on five I'm sure. Lol. Truck has stock air filter/intake but has a 5" exhaust. Also the truck will be hooked to something 95% of its life as long as I own it. When I say loaded I will be pulling trailers that wieght 16000lbs and up. This is my list so far that we have came up with and just looking to see if this will work without problems. Also just checking to make sure me or Tony hasn't forgot anything.

Triple or five disk converter
Mag tech pan
Billet acumulater
Both billet super hold servos
High energy bands
Upgraded clutches
Upgraded clutch packs with shaved pressure plates (more clutches)
Billet input shaft
Bump up pressure
Full lube vavle
Auxillary fan cooler with thermostat
Gm solinoid

If there is anything better or that we don't need to build this tranny please let me know guys. This is where we are at so far. One more thing we are pretty sure I'm goin to need the drum in the back. Tony says it usually needs replacing. So any thing else that needs replacing once we tear it down we will

Trans-go Shift Kit? Will give more pressure to all the clutch packs, may also need a billet flex-plate for the heavy loads being hauled. I have built three of them and never had a bad rear band drum yet.

Last edited:
I believe that my hire hands let the truck idle in park ( after I good them not to) and got the tranny to hot.

idling in park does nothing - idling in reverse or drive with a tight converter will cause the fluid to overheat.

Think pulling 16000 lbs with the edge on 5 might be part of the problem. If you have other people driving your truck there's your other problem. They probably like to see it smoke with a heavy load. So they are out there flogging the hell out of your truck. Would be cracking skulls if it was my truck. If your hired hands are to be driving the truck, I would unplug the edge.

Last edited:
If it's a stock trans with the edge on it yeah I'd say that's your problem haha