tranny on it's last leg...

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
anyone ever had an ALL stock (perf wise) truck blow a tranny with only 68k miles?

i had my torque convertor & valve body replaced around 60k miles and i think it got worse since.

i contacted my warranty company and they told me since it was already "fixed" with parts but now failing again they will put new tranny in.

but damn, why so soon?

we have company trucks (05's & up), fords & chevys that have over 130k and no problems with trannys. (our 05 dodges with 100-120k miles all have new, but they were put it at 100k)

The manifold and removing the silencer ring put it over the edge!!:hehe:

Well, besides the normal Dodge tranny rep....I've not really heard of a lot of 48's going out that soon.....

Whats it doin????

Go ahead and just have it built......Then add some more power!!!!!:evil

my money tree is at a stand still haha.
i have picked it beyond it's limits.

i can be going ANY speed, and get on it (not floor, but quickly) and the truck literally stops gaining speed, revs to about 3k then snaps and takes off.

it was awesome for 2k miles after they did the torque convertor & valve body.

i can barely even pull my 30,000lb loads.

ChaseN said:
my money tree is at a stand still haha.
i have picked it beyond it's limits.

i can be going ANY speed, and get on it (not floor, but quickly) and the truck literally stops gaining speed, revs to about 3k then snaps and takes off.

it was awesome for 2k miles after they did the torque convertor & valve body.

i can barely even pull my 30,000lb loads.

So you do tow heavy then....

Did they bother to look at the clutchs inside the tranny when the changed out the TC and VB???

Sounds like they just put a Band Aid on it the first time........I'm no tranny expert but have learned a few things from Jeff Garmon and his guys while hangin out and watching them do mine .......

Sounds like the clutches are SMOKED!!! Towing that heavy, you need a Better TC and some higher line pressure I'd say........

Anybody else have any idea's?????? Or can you correct me if I'm wrong????

tow heavy? nooo never haha. just kidding.
i only use this truck for about 2k miles a month of 27-30k lb loads.

otherwise i use my 05 ctd.

i do not know what it is, that's why i am asking. haha.
i just know somethin AINT right haha

I'm guessing that you haven't told them you tow that heavy, since they are going to replace it for you........

Let them do it and then if you can swing it, Get Garmons or someone to do some VB mods.......SOON!!

Yeah, I'm still learning too, but if they replace it, do a VB at the very least....and a double or triple disc TC if you have a Credit Card that has room...........HaHa.......That's how I did it!!! =).......I'm still paying on my Tranny Mods!!!

I also just spent another $600 Cause I twisted my Intermediate shaft in half 2 weeks ago!! =(...........Pay to Play, Right!!!

truck source quoted me-

garens VB & TC: $3400 installed
garens COMPLETE tranny: $4500 installed.

haha who the hell would do just the VB & TC when just for a grand more you get a whole tranny?

ChaseN said:
truck source quoted me-

garens VB & TC: $3400 installed
garens COMPLETE tranny: $4500 installed.

haha who the hell would do just the VB & TC when just for a grand more you get a whole tranny?

I Agree, but I've heard several people say they did VB's only......and some did the TC also.........

The VB should be cheap and would help the line pressure issues, but I've always heard that the stock TC is the Weakest link in a stock Dodge tranny.......

Well, either way....Good luck and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

thanks alot man!

something will be done on wednesday!
merry christmas to you too!

Do you mean Goerends Chase? You could also check out a Texas HTS dealer.....

I burned up my 3rd gear clutches with 30k on my truck with totally stock power and never pulled anything. Stock 48re's suck.

i still had a temp tag on my truck when i smoked my stock tranny. I bought the truck used with 67,000 miles. 2 weeks...smoked it at the track. I bit the bullet and bought a HTS. Best investment i could have made. Call Dusty at HTS. I know this might sound bad cause nobody likes him..but Wade from NGM Diesel hooked my up with a great price.....