tranny swap opinions

dj551976

I found a 97 dodge ctd truck runs it has a manual trans in it for $2000.00 i am having problems with my auto trans anyway and i am thinking of doing a swap. I want to get into pulling do you guys think it would be best if i just got a built up auto trans or do the swap, or would it be just a big hassle doing the swap?

you can buy a running 97 CTD for 2K? tell me where its at, if you dont buy it, I will lol. You can buy that truck and part it out for well over 2K if you decide to keep your auto. It's really just personal opinion I think when it comes to tranny options, some guys like sticks, others like autos, I myself would probably just build the auto seeing as how it needs work anyway, then it just slides back into place. No messing around with clutch pedals, mounts, cutting your floor for your shifter etc etc...

BTW can you just build the 97 for pulling? it would be easier than swapping everything over...Just a thought but either way I would grab that truck in a minute if it ran decent...

ya i guess i could build that truck for pulling there just isnt a straight panel on that truck it was some old ranchers truck and it only has 108,000 miles on it. He has a brand new d-max with duct tape holding on the mirrors and dents all over must be a bad driver?

97 5 speed with only 108k on it? If you have the money and dont buy it, there's something wrong with you. Like said, you could part it for well over that. The tranny and motor alone are worth more than 2k

ya its as good as bought i just gotta go get it on days off. This ought to be interesting to explain to the ol lady why i need two diesels. its alot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Well me and a friend (9812vctd) picked it up put on some jumper cables and after 2 years of sittin it fired right up.

same thing with my donor engine for the truck, the truck was sitting in a field for 2.5 - 3 years and fired up like it was brand new....

Go for it! I'm driving my buddy's '94 2500 manual today while my new wheels are being put on and I love this truck! I really like driving a manual. Good luck!

Back