Tranny temps

91fordcummins

Well l have a 93 cummins with the 518 in my 91 ford. I have had the tranny rebuilt once and just went with a converter the shop suggested and I fried that in 3 days. So now I have got a DTT converter had it gone all through again and hooked a tranny temp sensor up so that I can watch the temps. I have and after market cooler on the front which was the biggest the guy said he could get and what he claims to put on all the cummins that he does (I am thinking it isn't big enough). I went out the other night to have some fun in the fields and wasnt paying as close of attention as i should have been to the gauges and with in 10 mins of messing around my tranny got up to 250. I let it cool down for about 2 hours (it was about 20 degrees out side so it cooled down pretty fast) then drove it the 4 miles home and watch the gauge get to about 200 and that was with me being really nice and easy on the throttle. So my question is do I need bigger cooler on the front or what else could be causing these temps?

where is your sender at? I got mine in the hot line and i haven't seen mine go past 180 yet, I got a big cooler in the front under the battery with a fan on it also that I rarely turn on with switch and this is with a stock trans and converter, but I haven't towed much. Check cooler for if it has mud or crap on it, and maybe measure it and tell us how big it is. The stock coolers in these dodges were micro. Were you in OD most the time and lugging it down?

It is free of mud and it is about 10in by 11in, and it is mounted in front of the intercooler. The sensor is right in the hot line coming out of the tranny. My overdrive is on a switch so it was never in while I was in the field. This was the first day I have drove it since the last time the tranny had been gone through and it shifts great but I can smell the fluid getting hot and it is leaving a little puddle of fluid under the tranny when I park it again. I didn't pull anything, but I do pull plenty of trailers in the summer so am going to have to keep this thing cool.

Thats alot hotter than i let mine get, i don't know how hot it (WOULD) get because i slow down and take it out of OD when it hits 200, but i'm pullin a 25 ft goosneck with 16,000 lbs of tractors on it, my temp gauge is in the hot line,i have 2 stock coolers under the bumper, stock trans and converter,

when your getting your converters are you talking to the guys at the converter shop and telling them what your truck has for tires and performance upgrades or just getting an off the shelf one.

I don't know if you will ever be able to cowboy it like you could a manual.

Darwin

if its leaving a puddle of atf where you park it then something isn't right. Did you check all trans lines to make sure they weren't leaking? I'd say if its leaking and is getting hot then whoever rebuilt it did't do something right, I would take it back to them.

I talked to the people who built the converter and went through what I had done and what I plan to so it isn't off the shelf and is already in the truck. All the lines are fine on it and I am thinking a seal got to hot and that is why it is leaking fluid now. I am going to stop in a few local shops and see what they say tomorrow and I am not going to be taking it to the same shop again. I have lost confidence in them since they have already had this tranny out 4 times and the last time it took them over a month to get to it due to issues they were having and it kept getting put behind other jobs they had. Unless I am mistaken these transmissions should not be hitting 200 just running down the road with no load and easy throttle. I just do not know what could cause this high temp.

yeah it definately shouldn't be getting that warm just cruising with no load or steep pulls. I'd check around. Good luck