Trans build for 800 hp truck. Whats needed and whats not?

EXCELerate23

Okay so to make things as short as possible, trucks all finished up with the exception of the trans and when it comes to transmissions im awfully wet behind the ears. Obviously billet input, triple disc convertor, and deep pan is needed. Now ive heard from some places billet output, stock intermediate. Some say billet intermediate stock out, and some say do both or don't even bother. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? Also what about the billet 2nd gear servo strut anchor and accumulator piston?

If there's one thing ive learned, keep the intermediate STOCK. thanks me later

Just curious, why do you say to keep the intermediate stock?

Just curious, why do you say to keep the intermediate stock?

Just a guess (Transmissions = witchcraft I pay to have done), but I bet he's banking on the stock intermediate's tendency to cleanly break, versus a spiral fracture of a billet piece. When that spiral fracture happens, there really is no cheap place for it to expand; they can take out a case when they go, amongst other things.

Like I said, just a guess. I don't build em myself. (I have a billet intermediate in mine, BTW)

Last edited:
I've always been told that 800rwhp was pushing the limits of the stock intermediate shaft. Those numbers also shouldn't be enough to break a billet shaft either so long as it is set up right. For me, 800hp and up calls for full billet, just my .02

I had heard that a stock intermediate has a tendency flex more than a billet shaft and it doesn't break quite as easily but that is just hear say bullchit maybe.

One thing I can say is there is probably a reason many of the higher powered trucks have all billet shafts.

Edit: I see LAmiller aka the tranny guru of the free world as we know it is watching so listen to him.

Last edited:
We build many Comp 1 transmissions with Armet billet input shaft, stock intermediate and billet output shaft that have held up great even at 800HP.

We see very few broken intermediate shafts (stock or billet) on trucks under 1000HP, but when we do it is often caused by a 2-3 shift bind up and breaks the tip off the front of the intermediate shaft off in between the two planets. With a correct Apply lever, Servo and Valve body setup you can avoid the bind up and make a stock intermediate hold a tremendous amount of HP.

A stock output shaft at 800HP is suicide if you plan on 4x4 launches, it won't take you long to break it.

If your planning on going much over 850HP I recommend going Billet on all three shafts just to heir on the side of caution.

Back