Trans question

95ram

Hopefully someone can answer this. I'm looking at picking up an 03 SO and I'd like to take the built trans from my 98 and swap them. I figure I'd have to swap electronics on the VB. Anything else or will this simply not work?

03 and 2nd gen 47re have different plugs on the case. I believe it's just the neutral safety switch that's different.

Last edited:
Or just just use a bushing.

Of course you will have problems making the 98 case work in the 03. I mean you can bush down the 03, but not "bush up" the 98.

Last edited:

Of course you will have problems making the 98 case work in the 03. I mean you can bush down the 03, but not "bush up" the 98.

That's what I thought too, figured someone would make something to go from early to late style.

I personally would just swap the damn plug on the truck end if I wanted the built trans lol

Ryan

Even if the 03 is a 48re, they are the same dimensions as a 47re and will bolt in fine. Wiring is the only custom work that must be done.

I personally would just swap the damn plug on the truck end if I wanted the built trans lol

Ryan

Not sure how that would work, as the older transmission is just a switch, the newer prndl is a series of resistors that detect gear selection.

Might be a bit more in depth than just splicing wires then but could viably be another option for this guy

Ryan

An 03 is a 48re case no matter what. Regardless of internals.

It will still have the 5 pin nss plug and the 98 will be a 3 pin.

To switch it over requires you to drill out the bore of the neutral safety switch to a larger diameter and run a sleeve for the late style 48re neutral safety switch.

This is a big task and no one "makes a kit" to do it. We've done it to a few transmissions in house and it's definitely not something I would recommend be done without the proper tooling.

This is added to changing the rooster comb to read the 48re Nss as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info/thoughts guys. I emailed Dave Goerend and I'm going to end up swapping internals, OD section and parking rod. This will be a lot easier than trying to retro fit things. Shouldn't be to hard.

Back