Transfer case experts nv271d issue?

CREED1

Throwed Off
Well the other day was pulling 10k lb load pulled out into traffic and heard loud pop similar to breaking a output shaft.. Rpms free rev.. truck stopped pulling I decided to try 4hi and it started pulling again..
Specifics on truck
Billet 47re
Stock tcase
Gearvendor off back of tcase..

first thought was broke the gearvendor but upon tearing it down there is nothing broke all internals are good!

So leads me to the tcase and my question is there anyway to just loose 2wd with this particular unit and still have 4wd? I thought 4wd was drove off a chain from mainshaft to front output shaft?

Sure you didn't break an axle? Anything in the rear end would do the same.

You could break the output shaft behind the chain.

I assume this is an 03+ truck?

i lost 2hi in mine the fork for the shift has little plastic bushings on that may have failed or the 2 high gear is bad , if there is any play in that 2hi selector gear forward or back it will pop out but 4 hi will work

Sure you didn't break an axle? Anything in the rear end would do the same.

You could break the output shaft behind the chain.

I assume this is an 03+ truck?

Yessir its a 03 1 ton the axles and dif. seem fine no poping noise etc from anywhere while driving in 4hi limped it almost 200 miles back home. No noise from tcase as well and I can put my hand on the tcase output since the gearvendor is off and it seems to be still intacked or atleast not flopping around. Put the truck in gear 2wd crawled up under it and shaft is turning so im stumped at this point. Guess the next step is tearing the tailhousing (gearvendor adapter) off the tcase and checking it out.

Last edited:
i lost 2hi in mine the fork for the shift has little plastic bushings on that may have failed or the 2 high gear is bad , if there is any play in that 2hi selector gear forward or back it will pop out but 4 hi will work

Actually just replaced that lil sucker 6 months or so ago dryrotted its way out lol. They dont make anything that lasts these days.

What do u mean the shaft is turning in 2wd? Just because the rearend is quiet doesn't mean it isn't broken. Put it in 2wd, then put it in drive, see if driveshaft is spinning while truck is stationary. If the shaft spins and no truck movement, then problem is in rear.

I think the shift pattern is 4h,2h,n,4l correct? If so the fork could be worn I suppose, or u have a detent issuee.

also snap rings that hold main shaft in place at bearings can become concaved and cause 2 hi to be inop i have had that too

What do u mean the shaft is turning in 2wd? Just because the rearend is quiet doesn't mean it isn't broken. Put it in 2wd, then put it in drive, see if driveshaft is spinning while truck is stationary. If the shaft spins and no truck movement, then problem is in rear.

I think the shift pattern is 4h,2h,n,4l correct? If so the fork could be worn I suppose, or u have a detent issuee.

Driveshaft and rearend do spin together forgot to mention that earlier which also led me away from thinking was in the rearend. I wouldnt think the forks would be worn out truck has seldom seen 4wd and only has 30k miles on it been a pavement pounder most of its life so far but stranger things have happened. Guess ill be tearing into the tcase later this week.

also snap rings that hold main shaft in place at bearings can become concaved and cause 2 hi to be inop i have had that too

Dodge mechanic I use some on the side mentioned this also so looks like that may be a common issue.

Back