Transfer case troubleshooting help

Double J

I think I have a problem with my transfer case...hoping someone has some troubleshooting tips. I was going to make a couple 4WD launches yesterday to try out a few things and noticed, after finally getting the 4X4 light to come on, I had a tapping sound (almost like I was not fully locked in 4wd) coming from underneath. I didn’t take it up passed 15mph because the tapping increased with the vehicle speed. I tried to put it back in 2wd while still rolling at approx 10-15 mph and it wouldn’t come out of 4wd. I had to stop and drop the transmission in reverse to get it to come out. Back in 2WD, the sound completely goes away. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the transfer case shifter feels like it has less travel when going from 2wd to 4wd then it use to. I checked the linkage and nothings limiting the travel.

The last time it was in 4wd is when I was at the track, so I’m pretty sure something’s hurt. Any thoughts on what it could be or how to trouble shoot it?

Pull the case and split it, sounds like you have a stuck/binding shift collar inside the case and it's not going fully into 4wd. If you have never been into one before, don't be skeered, they are really easy if you have the FSM to help you on what goes where.

You might have one of the big snap ring looking spring under the shift collar broke.

In order to inspect/replace the snap ring, all you have to do is remove the case and split it? I've never had it out, but I'm sure it'll make more sense once it's on the bench.

Or your shifter collar pads could worn out. Mine was that way. $7 for the pads and it was ok again.

bnraodn.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping to have the case out tonight.