Transmission cooler

TolyM

Hey guys!
My first question here, usually I'm just a reader.
My tranny cooler was leaking and i bought a dorman oe cooler. Looks just like the oem one and fits perfect. After installing i added some atf+4 1qt to be exact. Now my tranny is running a lot hotter then it used to.
I'm in Indiana and its 5 or 10 degrees outside going 65 mph old cooler had my temps at 150. New cooler is at 180.
I don't even want to compare city driving. New cooler goes over 180 easily.
This worries me because of it's getting that high in the cold i can't imagine what it'll do when it's 80 or 90 outside.
One guy asked me if i had the hoses connected properly, does it matter how their connected?
What do you guys think? What can it be and where should i look and what should i look for? I was thinking to try and switch the tubes and see what happens. I dont even know if it'll work. I connected the top tube with the top one coming out of the cooler abs the bottom one with the bottom of the cooler.

If any one been through this and wouldn't mind sharing their fixes i would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Temp gage that's connected to the tranny passenger side right above the oil pan.

Ok try shooting the bottom of the pan with an infrared heat gun and see what you get.

I doubt your temps are that high in 10 degree weather just not possible UNLESS your TQ is slipping really bad! Doesn't matter which way the lines go into the cooler. What are your engine temps? I think your gauge is off alot!

I doubt your temps are that high in 10 degree weather just not possible UNLESS your TQ is slipping really bad! Doesn't matter which way the lines go into the cooler. What are your engine temps? I think your gauge is off alot!

Engine temps are little lower then half.

I read tranny temp through insight and I shot my pan with a heat gun and the insight is off 30 degrees.

you say it looks just like the OEM cooler?

OEM coolers have a check valve/ temp switch inline on the upper right hand side. mine is bypassed for texas summers.... and direction DOES matter

OEM coolers have a check valve/ temp switch inline on the upper right hand side. mine is bypassed for texas summers.... and direction DOES matter

Yes it does on stock cooler but the aftermarkets don't have the check valve........... I think!

You are right. I found a thread on this site that shows how to clean that thermostat in the top right corner if it over heats. Took the ring out and there was a spring with a small round aluminum piece and no holes or anything.
Dorman vs OEM

Oem has 2holes in there for the oil to pass through those 2tubes. Dorman didn't have those.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390912261711.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390912261711.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390912289939.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390912289939.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
I have a cooler from 08 ram.
I'll try it out today. Its the same size and the the brackets match good but it doesn't have the tube on top for the valve to be installed. I live in south Carolina so I'm not worried about cold winters. I just travel sometimes to the north in the winters.

Installed the cooler from 08.
Perfect fit and it did the job. I'm below 150 with temps at 28 outsude. Been on the road for over 30 mins. City driving.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390926204893.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390926204893.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
Back