Transmission issues....help???

solow1k

So when i drop my truck into drive from reverse it takes about 10 second to engage, Also when i go into reverse from park it does the same. Sometimes on the 3 and 4th shift on the highway it gets a really blad flutter. What can i do to fix this ASAP?

solow1k said:
So when i drop my truck into drive from reverse it takes about 10 second to engage, Also when i go into reverse from park it does the same. Sometimes on the 3 and 4th shift on the highway it gets a really blad flutter. What can i do to fix this ASAP?
You can hope it's a solenoid...or more simple that it's low on fluid.
If that's NOT the case....you're about to get it rebuilt.

fluid is full and clean. How much should a rebuild cost on one of these? Should i order parts from a vendor?

No warranty ? Where are you located ? Where you live will help someone point you in the direction of a good shop if there's no warranty.

nope no warranty, and yes i would love to know of a good shop in the DFW area. Cheapest ive been quoted so far for a basic rebuild is 2500!

My truck is doing the same thing. I live in Marquette MI. Anyone know of shops around here?

When getting parts what should I get? The super duty rebuild kit, or the extreme duty kit. Is the converter needed? I just had the fluid changed in the tranny with both filters changed. Is there anyway to find out what exactly I need or what is wrong?

Reverse Planetary failure. You may need hard parts. The rebuild kits aren't going to cover everything. The suncoast kit is lacking even a basic gasket kit. You are describing more than one simple quick fix issue.

Where should I start? I'm not a mechanic. I suppose I can bring a tranny expert for a ride And go from there? What about the converter?:bang

nope no warranty, and yes i would love to know of a good shop in the DFW area. Cheapest ive been quoted so far for a basic rebuild is 2500!

If you are going to do it, I would upgrade your clutches. Don't just do a stock rebuild. After you upgrade your injectors and turbo, the last thing you want to do it go back into your tranny. Do it once and be done with it.

I think stock is fine on these trannies. I drive a F550 Dump truck for work with 80k on the stock tranny. It's not tuned but I sure do beat the crap out of it when it's loaded.

I think stock is fine on these trannies. I drive a F550 Dump truck for work with 80k on the stock tranny. It's not tuned but I sure do beat the crap out of it when it's loaded.

Depends on how much you are pushing them. There is a big difference between an F-550 with 280 horsepower running low rpm's and a F-250/350 running high rpms with 600+ horsepower.

The stock tranny is fairly good up to around 500 in our opinion. Anything above that, and we recommend doing at least clutches.

so the best thing right now is the Xtreme Duty Rebuild Kit. what would that cost a shop to do approximately?

Back