Transmission problems, 3rd gear shifts hard ocassionally, not often.

blueoval

Transmission problems, 3rd gear revs and shifts hard ocassionally, not often.

I tried researching but havent found much. Found a thread someone having problems but his truck had been in a flood. Ok it shifts fine most of the time, but sometimes it will shift 2nd and 3rd it revs up and shifts hard sometimes only once while driving it the whole day sometimes a couple times then it will quit. I have put it in tow/haul and it want do it. I pull a 44ft trailer about 13-14k lbs for drag racing. It has never gave me a problem while pulling it, have pulled it 3.5 hours at a time. The truck has 110k miles, I called a ford place but the woman said she cant have a mechanic come to the phone. I think its something electronic. No codes.

Last edited:
Has no one had similar problems. I thought a lot of people have had problems with these transmissions

Nope doesnt change when still have the problem in stock form. I didnt mess with transmission with the tuner either.

My buddy had the same issues with his bullydog tuner, the shifting was horrendous. He couldn't even use it with the higher power settings because of how bad it would miss. It would rev right up, tach out, then slam in to gear. It was just terrible. He put an SCT on and problems disappeared.

NONE of the tuners on the market actually access the TCM and tune the transmission, except for the SCT.

I will try just taking the tuner off again, but I tried it before and pretty sure it did the same thing. Its just wierd because it want do it but 1 out of every 100 or so shifts estimate

Its still possible, but with that tuner on, it isn't helping it.

Could be the "lazy solenoids" I hear so much about. I'm looking into doing mine now because my shifting has gotten really weird since this reman went in my truck.

Sounds like you have either a bad solenoid, or a dirty one. I would say your tuner is to blame as well.

The trans also "learns" from how you have been driving. I baby it 99 percent of the time and it doesn't wanna shift when I get on it the first couple of times. After a couple of weird shifts it tightens back up, like it should be. First red light the trans doesn't like me racing it but after a couple of lights its shifts as it should.

The trans also "learns" from how you have been driving. I baby it 99 percent of the time and it doesn't wanna shift when I get on it the first couple of times. After a couple of weird shifts it tightens back up, like it should be. First red light the trans doesn't like me racing it but after a couple of lights its shifts as it should.

Have you tried disconnecting the batts for about 15min. This will clear the memory on the trans computer. I had the same problem with my Hypertech III and when I switched to my sct ( witch programs the trans and raises line pressure) I never had problems again. The Hypertech only programs the engine and leaves the trans to learn on its own. That is why a lot of transmissions fail early. Call Eric at Innovative and get some nice custom tunes along with an SCT tuner. You won't regret it.:snoop:

Thanks guys I will try unhooking the battery. I have just been driving around in tow/haul mode. Put probably 1200 miles and it hasnt done it, all shifts are smooth. My mom drove it the other day and said it shifted hard once on her, I didnt tell her I had been driving it around in tow mode. Now maybe it is the tranmission memory. I probably get on my truck to much its just fun blowing smoke out and getting gone in a 8k pound truck.

has this been a problem since you installed the tuner or did it show up a while after? like previously mentioned the hypertec most likely doesnt tune the transmission and even if it does the programming might not be right. the torqshift is a very strong and well designed transmission however it is very sensitive, especially to how clean the fluid is. i believe ford recommends servicing the trans every 30k, but if the vehicle is subjected to extreme conditions on a regular basis it should be done sooner. once the solenoids get debris in them from dirty fluid their ability to function properly is hindered causing drivability problems. since every function of this transmission is controlled by the TCM a bad program, bad learn or combination of the two can cause problems as well. i would put the computer back to stock, disconnect the batteries and let the truck sit, it doesnt hurt to turn the headlight switch on when they are disconnected. this should clear the memory. after it sits for approx 30min reconnect the batteries and drive it, leave it stock and see how it operates, it might take some mileage for the TCM to get the shifts figured out btw.

fwiw the TCM for the torqshift does not learn driving style, it monitors shift quality and makes adjustments to deliver quality shifts. this does not mean you can run a 100hp engine program and leave the tcm stock and expect the trans to figure out whats going on and adjust the shifts to be optimal. its a strong transmission but its capabilities are only as good as the programming its being run by.

anyways disconnect the batteries and clear the memory and get back to us on how it drives stock. if the trans is over due for a service its in your best interest to have the fluid & filters replaced.

Back