Transmission Shift Problem

es12v

Hey guys, haven't posted here before, but have read through the forums for the past several months and been able to find everything that I need, however I havnt found a solution to my problem yet so here goes....

I have a 96 12v with the auto transmission. I had it re-built in december and everything seemed well...until about a month ago. All of a sudden it started hanging in second gear for a long time. It would often take it a 1/4 mile to finally shift into 3rd, changes in throttle would not make it shift. I took it back to the transmission shop, where they did another complete rebuild (under warranty). This appeared to fix the problem, until last week when it began to show the same symptoms. It would hang in second longer than normal, but progressed into staying in second gear longer and longer. Using very mild throttle, I could get it to finally shift, when it did it would shift hard into 3rd, and then immediately into overdrive. When in overdrive, it also will immediately down shift into second if it gets hard throttle. It did this no matter if it was cold or warm. I went back to the tranny shop and they claimed that it is not a problem within the transmission, as when they hooked it up to their computer (or shift box...i'm not sure what it is called) that it would shift perfectly fine. They placed the blame on a worn throttle cable. I replaced the throttle cable and linkage assembly this evening to appease them. Doing so had no effect on the shifting of the transmission, as it continues to shift poorly. Also, I had replaced the TPS a few months ago, and it appears to be showing the proper voltage.

Not really sure where to go from here, or what else could be responsible for causing this problem.

Thanks for your help

I don't know much about transmissions but it sounds like it's out of adjustment. I would take it to one of the reputable tranny shops that's closest to your house. Also, you said that you changed your throttle cable at the advise from the shop. Try replacing the tv cable, that is prolly what they meant.

yeah a tv cable aka throttle valve cable that is out of adjustment would effect how your tranny shifts. mine was very far out of adjustment and it would shift out of 1st gear at 5mph maybe even 3mph now it shifts out of first at 10-13mph still too quick but much better then before.