Transmission Slipping

MacbooknMyTruck

Waiting and Wanting
Okay guys, so even on my stock tune my transmission is slipping about 100 RPM's every once in a while, I think from 2-3. Is my transmission on it's way out?

The transmission fluid hasn't been changed in probably 90k, so I'm assuming this is what caused it. It was scheduled to get the fluid changed Friday, but it got bumped back to Tuesday. Will this help at all?

Would replacing the Torque Converter solve the problem? How much do they run? Or do I need a new reman from Ford? How much do they run?

Would a tune with firmer shifts (EX: Innovative's tunes) help solve this?

Or should I just sell my truck? Everybody at my dealership worships my truck, and they said they'd put it in the front on the hill, if one of the workers didn't buy it first. LOL

How much do you think I could get out of it? I'd wanna sell it before the transmission completely goes if I don't replace it. It only slips while cold now.

I'd probably buy this one if I sold it, but idk if I should sell it or not.
2005 F250 Powerstroke - Powerstroke Nation

In my experience once they start doing that you dont have long. You could get a trans shop too diagnose it for sure though.

Got the fluid changed and no more slipping so far!!! :rockwoot: I'm gonna order an Xtreme Street tune from Eric and see how she does with a firm shiftin tune.

The only time my trans has ever slipped is when I was 14 qts low on fluid.

Lord, I hope not. It's hanging in right now, no slippage. Been driving it with Eric's Xtreme Street. I'm probably going to drop the pan and install one of Doug's Direct Solenoids. It can't hurt, and it's a cheap upgrade for a longer living tranny. If it does crap out, it will be rebuilt with SunCoast Parts, as I can't justify selling this truck, with all the money I've put in it. LOL I would be interested in a built 5R110 if anyone's got one for sale.

Last edited:
I do, they are from Vivian at Quick Tricks.

Hi Blake,

I hope you are doing well. I was surprised by your response that you are running my files when on July 4th you wrote this in an email to me:

I really like the way my truck shifts stock, and the Extreme Race I have from Eric now shifts like CRAP! it will even "double-shift" sometimes. So can you make my truck shift close to stock, without tearing up the tranny?

I'm afraid that if I run the Extreme Race for much longer my tranny is gonna fall out.

I think you were having problems with the transmission before you downloaded one of my tunes. Adding more power to your truck will escalate any problem that you have with the truck and the Looney is a magnet for that. Just wanted to clear that up cause it gives the wrong impression.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Thanks,
Vivian

Hi Blake,

I hope you are doing well. I was surprised by your response that you are running my files when on July 4th you wrote this in an email to me:

I really like the way my truck shifts stock, and the Extreme Race I have from Eric now shifts like CRAP! it will even "double-shift" sometimes. So can you make my truck shift close to stock, without tearing up the tranny?

I'm afraid that if I run the Extreme Race for much longer my tranny is gonna fall out.

I think you were having problems with the transmission before you downloaded one of my tunes. Adding more power to your truck will escalate any problem that you have with the truck and the Looney is a magnet for that. Just wanted to clear that up cause it gives the wrong impression.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Thanks,
Vivian

I believe you are right Vivian, It as very misleading though as after I got my trans flushed and a new tune with firm shifts it doesn't slip. Now it does on the stock tune, but not on the Xtreme Street. I'm hoping it may just be a converter and not the whole trans, as I'm so broke right now after dumping about $6 grand in this truck recently, not including warranty covered items ($4 grand worth of parts and labor).

6 speed conversion!

Heck no, I'll have an auto as long as I own a Ford! And that's forever. LOL

OKay so I talked to a few guys today, said it's just the normal 2-3 shift flare that many experience, but isn't a sign of your trans going. So I think i may be fine, gonna get a GoGo SOlenoid anyways when I got the cash.

Hi Blake,

Good Luck. I'm sure it's something simple. Again, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Vivian