transmission upgrade questions

ka rainwater

well i've done all the simple mods for power and now it's time to start with the expensive stuff...but before i start adding big power i want to make sure my transmission can hold it...my mechanic told me if i got a good torque converter then he could make my stock tranny hold plenty of power...who should i go with?? i have a 04 6.0l

What kind of power are you planning to put down?

i'm at 415 right now fixing to add 100 shot of nitrous and a water/methanol kit....eventually add injectors and a new turbo but it will be awhile before i'm ready to do that

Your stock tranny will live just fine with the Nitrous, until you put the turbo and Injectors, then its bye bye most likely.

why do you say to stay away from water/meth?
I was considering buying it but wasn't sure how good it is.

Last edited:
well i've got that new turbo on the way so i guess i'm just gonna wait for it to go then beef up the tranny...

Your stock converter is just fine. My trans was built internally...but the converter was stock. It never missed a beat.
This is who I recomend for 5R110 stuff:
www.jwtt.com

I say stay away from the water meth because here in Florida there is a guy that melted 4 pistons because his mix of water meth was too rich..its risky on our trucks..

I have run water/meth for two pulling seasons and have not had any trouble. I only run about a 30% ratio of meth tops, i have run 50% and it did run great but it was one of those things where it seemed a little to good. If you keep your meth down and only run the system when you need it (mine is strickly to cool the egts) it shouldn't hurt you. i am also on stock head gaskets and bolts also (knock on wood)$.02

yea i think i'll stay clear of the meth...it seems that nitrous is much safer...thanks for the help