trashed lpop

wewille

Well its been awhile since ive been on here but ive got another question for you guys. I had a 2003 6.0l come in the shop yesterday it had very low icp pressure and voltage. The oil pressure gauge on the dash came up and it filled the oil filter bowl, but slowly. I hooked my mechanicaloil pressure gauge up and found low base oil pressure. I then pulled the ipr off, found trash on the screen. I then proceeded to remove the low pressure oil pump, found that to be trashed as well. Then i removed the passenger side valve cover and turned the motor over by hand the #1 cyl exhaust valves do not move. I did not remove the driver side valve cover yet... So im assuming the lifter failed spreading metal parts through the whole system destroying the lpop, hpop, ipr, injectors, and who knows what else. So what do i recommend? A new engine? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! I have not experienced this problem before, so any advise would be great!! Thanks in advance!!! Also has anybody found a cause for the lifter failure?

Wow, that sucks. I know my buddies truck had valves stick and ended up with multiple broken rocker arms. His was because the headgaskets were bad and coolant was leaking heavily into one cylinder, it did this long enough that the valve guides had rusted or "corroded" bad enough to cause the valves to stick...

I know I would want a new engine, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it...

You've done your schooling opposite of me! I have my mechanical engineering degree, but now I want to get a diesel tech degree! Good luck!

what do you consider low oil pressure at the filter? I run 22-23psi (hot) at idle

Those numbers look fine to me. I believe the spec for hot idle oil pressure goes down rather low, (10 psi or something along those lines)

Wow, that sucks. I know my buddies truck had valves stick and ended up with multiple broken rocker arms. His was because the headgaskets were bad and coolant was leaking heavily into one cylinder, it did this long enough that the valve guides had rusted or "corroded" bad enough to cause the valves to stick...

I know I would want a new engine, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it...

You've done your schooling opposite of me! I have my mechanical engineering degree, but now I want to get a diesel tech degree! Good luck!

Haha he wanted a reman engine from ford... Until we got a price of 11,000 dollars our cost! So needless to say the customer found a used engine that we are installing for no warranty. Got the cab off this morning and then got busy with other stuff(had to wait for engine anyways!) so hopefully monday we will get them swapped and out the door!

Congrats on the engineering degree! If diesel technology is what you wanna do then jump on it! Its a tough job that takes alot of brains but the pay can most definitly be great!!! Some guys will say stay away from being a tech but i disagree. If your smart, willing to work hard, ALWAYS LEARNINGand extra proffesional the sky is the limit.

Haha he wanted a reman engine from ford... Until we got a price of 11,000 dollars our cost! So needless to say the customer found a used engine that we are installing for no warranty. Got the cab off this morning and then got busy with other stuff(had to wait for engine anyways!) so hopefully monday we will get them swapped and out the door!

Congrats on the engineering degree! If diesel technology is what you wanna do then jump on it! Its a tough job that takes alot of brains but the pay can most definitly be great!!! Some guys will say stay away from being a tech but i disagree. If your smart, willing to work hard, ALWAYS LEARNINGand extra proffesional the sky is the limit.

Yup, my buddy had the same options, 10k for a reman motor, or 3k for a used motor with no warranty. He didn't go for either, had them button it back up as is and he's still driving it... not sure how it even runs.

Where are you located? Shoot me a PM.