Trouble Starting in Extreme Cold

dodgeplowman21

Smokin' Rubber
For the last 2 days I have had to jump my truck to get it started. Temperatures have been about 0-10 degrees during the night and the mornings. Once I jump it it runs fine. Before I jump it, it just cranks and cranks til the battery gets too low that it doesn't have enough ass to crank it enough to get it started. ANY IDEAS?!? I also have a 400 watt power inverter plugged in that is on all the time too.

i would say a couple inj bad because mine fires right up in subzero temps even when i forgot to plug it in or when it sits at work which its 11pm when i get off and no plugging it in there

i have to run a few heat cyles on my truck and then it still hates to start,but i have big injects and low compression.does your truck whitesmoke when it starts?

Not sure, But how about new batteries?
JMO if you cnt start it on the batts you have, and it will start on a jum, I would put new batts in.
JMO

Well I found that one problem I had was that my engine block heater cord was bad. I replaced that and will see if the truck still has problems starting in the am. As for white smoke, nothing noticeably. When it first starts for about 20 seconds or so, you see exhaust coming out, but its not black, and not very white. As for batteries, the truck cranks just fine, its after I sit there for a bit and try to start it is when they finally get low enough to where it has to be jumped.

Truck started just fine today, but it was only 20 this morning. Need another cold day. Didn't even wanna wait the full time to heat up the glow plugs before the light when off.

Is there an in tank pump along with the lift pump on the side of the fuel filter? J/W. Wasn't sure if the lift pump has to suck fuel from the tank, or if there is a pump in tank to send fuel to the lift pump.

Stock trim from the factory is either one or the other, not both.